Hospital Parking - Again

kateoflymm

I see that the 2 tier car park, adjacent to Croft Wing, is now in use. Half of the ground level parking area was restricted to "Staff Only". It still is - and so is the upper storey. At 10 45 a.m. today that top tier was more or less empty while the patients' area was packed to capacity. How is that "creating over 100 new parking spaces"?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I see that the 2 tier car park, adjacent to Croft Wing, is now in use. Half of the ground level parking area was restricted to "Staff Only". It still is - and so is the upper storey. At 10 45 a.m. today that top tier was more or less empty while the patients' area was packed to capacity. How is that "creating over 100 new parking spaces"?

Possibly because it stops the staff parking in the spaces for visitors! :roll:

I've not been there recently to see the new arrangements, but if the new spaces are permanently reserved for staff then at peak times of the day they are not going to help the situation at all.

For example, in the early evening when there are lots of people visiting relatives etc in the hospital. There are also considerably fewer staff on site since all of the day wards and clinics are not operating, neither are all the admin and office functions, so a large proportion of the staff spaces will just stand empty.

Surely it'd make sense to have the staff spaces throughout the site only reserved on a Mon-Fri 8am to 6pm basis.

Beyond this, the parking problem generally could be completely solved if hospital management simply ensured that clinics ran to time.

On the last three occasions I have attended the Orthopedics Dept to see my consultant I have had an appointment time of around 9:30am. I have never been seen at anything approaching this time - on the last occasion it was nearly 2pm before I was seen. So my car was taking up a space in the car park for at least 4 hours longer than was necessary. Asking around the other patients in the waiting room it became clear that EVERYONE had been given an appointment time between 9:30 and 10am, for a clinic which was scheduled to run until 1pm or so.

I asked the receptionist about this and was told it was standard practice to drag all the patients in for the start of a clinic and have them all sitting around until the consultant and his team got around to them.

Hardly surprising then that it's murder trying park there first thing in the morning!!