Blame Culture -

Why is it nowadays - it's always someone else's fault - why don't folk take personal liabilitity for the outcomes of their own decisions/actions? :roll: There was a woman on the news the other night, who's six inch heel broke - now she wants to sue the shoemaker - but if you walk round in absurd footwear, surely it's an accident waiting to happen? :shock::wink:

I hear what you're saying about the blame culture and agree with you that there's not enough taking responsibility for ones own problems out there.

But in this case, she was sold an item (shoes) as being fit for purpose (walking in), they proved to be unfit (heel broke) and she suffered an injury. Maybe sometimes, a "blame culture" is what's needed to reduce the amount of shoddy product we get fobbed of with.

I would suggest that balancing on a six inch heel, in the name of vanity is asking for trouble; perhaps folk need to do their own risk assessments?! :roll: But the list is no doubt endless: riding bikes without lights at night; J-walking across roads in front of traffic etc etc. :roll::wink:

Looks like closer to a 3 or 4 inch heel from the pictures to me. Millions of women wear similar heels every day and every night, nothing unusual or high risk about them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1033255/Woman-wins-7-000-breaking-ankle-high-heel-snapped.html

.....apart from the fact that these were faulty, broke, and left the wearer needing surgery to put pins in her ankle. ?7,200 sounds a bit on the low side for that kind of loss, if you ask me. Possibly would have been higher if she hadn't been a student and there'd been more of a loss of earnings claim.

he's no sole either.

As for "not fit for purpose", it depends whether she was wearing them falling in and out of the pubs in Bridge St.

I don't recall anyone from yesteryear sueing the council for getting their heel stuck and it breaking off.

I would suggest that balancing on a six inch heel, in the name of vanity is asking for trouble; perhaps folk need to do their own risk assessments?! :roll: But the list is no doubt endless: riding bikes without lights at night; J-walking across roads in front of traffic etc etc. :roll::wink:

Ah risk assessments. There's a get out clause now widely used by employers to get out of their responsibilities. "did you carry out a risk assessment before that machine took your leg off? No? Well sorry according to your contract if you don't follow procedure (including filling out a risk assessment) we, as your employer, cannot be held responsible for the failure of our machinery to leave you as a biped". :roll::roll:

Even under elf and safety law; both employer AND employee have a responsibility to take reasonable responsibilities. :roll: But you may not think so, given a 70year old school caretaker has just won a tribuneral, having fell off a 6ft laddder "he hadn't been trained to use"!!!! :roll::wink:

Speakign as one working in this field, soem valid points have been made i.e. the broke and caused substantial damage. They broke within hours of being bought. Bang to rights if you ask me and rightly so.

As for the ladders case, the question always is for an employer to make sure that the work is as safe as possible and trainign is fundamental to that regardless of the work undertaken.

Risk Assessments are only valid if done well, accurately and are followed to the tee. Any gaps and the employer gets hit.