Last night’s Aroura

Bill

There was a huge aroura visible last night and social media is covered with pictures of the event.

I’d left my laptop in the garage so at just before 10pm I went outside to get it. Initially the sky had a large bright red glow towards the front of the house, and I thought there must have been a fire somewhere. Once my eyes adjusted slightly, I realised what it was, but the odd thing was that it wasn’t in the north as most of these things tend to be, but rather more towards the east.

By the time I got my camera phone out it had dimmed down somewhat but the curtain of red light was still stretching right across the sky from east to west. My phones not great so my pictures are a bit naff and not worth showing but there’s hundreds of them on the Gurdian Facebook page.

Bill 😊

once again i managed to miss it.

i was driving home from Grappenhall around that time and by the time i got home, just after ten, had cup of hot chocolate, i realised that it was a good night for the northern lights but by then it was all over.

the only time i have seen them was when i was about six years old and it frightened the life out of me as i did not know what it was at the time and thought the Martians were invading.👽

Pity you missed it Sid, that’s normally what I do. 😊

Most arouras this far south usually need a completely dark sky to be seen, even then they just look like thin cloud with a slight tinge of colour; last night though, for a while it was so bright you couldn’t possibly miss it. Without a digital camera to bring out the other colours, it showed as big red glows a bit like how bonfire night used to be.

Bill 😊