Snippets of my life.

Bill

Now here’s something interesting.

This morning, I received a letter from a credit company explaining that some of the terms in my contract had changed slightly. Given I haven’t bought anything on credit since I got my first car fifty odd years ago I thought it was a bit strange, so I rang the company.

It turns out that someone had tried to open an account with the on-line white goods retailer AO back in 2020 and used my details. The person making the application failed the security checks and the account that was created was blocked that same day. The credit company said that due to the disruption at that time due to the covid lockdowns the letter informing me of the attempted fraud might have gone astray and for some reason, the blocked account had also remained on their system.

Thankfully nobody got away with anything but as of now, I’ve apparently got a credit score of zero for the next thirty days and after that time should I ever need credit, I’m likely to face extended security checks. Just as well I don’t do credit.

Bill 😊

sounds similar to my brush with the bailiffs. apparently i had illegally parked my Mercedes somewhere unpronounceable in wales and had not paid the fixed penalty so the bailiffs were going to come and collect.

not only had i never heard of the place but i have never been in a Mercedes since my dad sold his thirty years previous.

That reminds me of the time the police came to arrest me for attacking a bloke with a broken glass in the Borough Arms. 😕

I was only 11 years old at the time. 😄

Thing is these days it’s relatively easy to get someone’s basic details on the web without doing anything dodgy, you just have to know where to look. Some time back now I completely freaked Dizzy out by telling her the security challenge for her sons bank account.  😄

Bill 😊

We sat on a wooden bench on the outskirts of Lancaster, a cold wind buffeting us while shared a portion of pie and chips. Irene said, “I was expecting something a bit better on my Golden Wedding Anniversary.” My old brain had managed to get a year out of step with reality, so the plans I had in mind to do something extra special to mark that day had all gone completely to pot. “Look on the bright side” I said, “This wind saves us blowing on these hot chips.” She didn’t laugh, but no doubt she will in time, as she tells others about it.

There’s not much you can you do at such short notice so the only thing I could think of was to go for a drive out somewhere and the scenic Trough of Bowland was somewhere I know she liked. We’d already decided that we’d go for a nice meal later that evening, so we were on the lookout for somewhere for a light snack. There wasn’t much up that way and that’s how we ended up in a chippy.

Bowland’s narrow twisty roads were a bit of a challenge but a lot easier in the smaller car. The 1500cc three-cylinder engine with battery assistance took on the hills effortlessly although at times it did sound a bit agricultural. This was the longest run I’d done so far and getting back I was amazed to find that I’d averaged 81mpg with over 60% of the journey done on battery power.

Some days are good, others not so good and then there’s those you wish you could just forget.😂

Bill 😊