In Car Cameras

Bill

Having only had my new car for a week and already had someone catch the back of it causing several hundred pounds worth of damage, I’ve just had to order an expensive security camera to cover the front and rear of the car.

I think it’s a bit sad that these days we need to use stuff like this. In all my driving years, I’ve only once found myself in a situation where I’ve accidentally caught someone’s car while reversing. I could easily have driven off without saying anything, but I’d have to live with the fact I’d been deliberately dishonest for the rest of my life and that’s something I just couldn’t do. Sadly, not everyone thinks this way.

Bill 😊

wish i had had one last week.

on my way to bowls and stopped at the lights at mc donalds on winwick road. i was going straight ahead and was in the left hand lane. the lights changed to let the traffic on winwick road turn right towards the hospital. a car was heading straight for me. they had mistaken the right hand turn lane at the light to go towards town for the their turn. the look of shock pn their faces when they realised was priceless. fortunately there was nobody in that lane so no real harm done apart from some panic on their part.

it is easily done there though if your attention wanders a bit especially at night.

i have considered a dashcam for mine but given that i have only put 10,000 miles on the clock in eleven years  doe not seem worth the expense yet.

Seem to remember a time not too long ago when that Range store near there had them for sale at about £35. I don’t know how good they’d be at that price or how easy it’d be to fit them but at that price it could effectively become free if it gives a discount on insurance.

I’ve taken the easy option and decided to just let Toyota fit one of theirs as I’m so knackered at the moment I don’t think I could do with all the messing about inside the car.

Bill 😊

Nice to be able to report some good news for a change. I’ve just found out that the car came with a cosmetic repair guarantee package where minor cosmetic damage can be dealt with by their mobile units at a fraction of the price of a normal garage. Not 100% certain how it works but it seems for paying a £60/ year fee, you can get minor cosmetic repairs such as stone chips, scrapes and allow wheels sorted for just £10 a time which to me sounds a good deal and certainly better than the £450 quoted by the garage.

Bill 😊

My next door neighbour has just hard wired his camera into his car front and rear.

he got the camera setup from a stall in wales for £35.00.

the footage is good and it has all the whistles and bells of more expensive one. (i know because he did not have a micro sd adapter and asked me to transfer the files over and clear up the memory card)

you are lucky with that package bill as mine didn't even have a spare wheel....:blink:

It's not luck Sid, my Maserati didn’t come with a spare tyre either, that’s the problem when we buy these cheap cars 😊 It’s all down to weight saving these days because that’s partly how they get best fuel efficiency. With the Toyota, everything’s a bit flimsy and cheap feeling but even with extra the weight of the batteries it’s still 200 Kg lighter than the old Alfa and as a result it goes nearly three times further for the same amount of petrol.

With the camera being fully integrated, I’m hoping I’ll be able to get notifications on my phone should anything happen. It told me again last night that I hadn’t locked it so that’s another thing I’ll have to start doing. I never used to lock the other cars as I’d rather someone just open the door and find nothing rather than end up breaking the lock.

Bill 😊

Last night after a very nice pint of real ale, my brother decided he fancied a kebab, and I ended up buying a small bag of chips. I put them on the back seat, dropped my brother off and drove home. When I came to get out of the car, it popped up a message telling me I’d left my chips in the back, and they were going cold. Well maybe not quite like that, but it was certainly clever enough to know that nobody was sitting in the back so no seatbelt warning but enough to know that there was something there.

Despite all it cleverness, the interior lights still don’t come on when the doors get opened. I can’t believe that that would be an optional extra but I’m blowed if I can work out how to make them work. I did finally manage to set the clock, but it took me an age as the manual has little resemblance to the actual controls. I’d have thought that after paying so much for the car they’d at least provide proper instructions on how to make it all work.

On a more positive note, I was down to less than 30-mile range so I filled it to the brim and it only took £45 worth of juice which is less than half what it took with the Alfa. As well as that, I can now fill up with normal petrol rather than just the single pump that supplied E5 stuff.

Bill 😊

have you looked on the interweb to see if there are any manuals that will tell you?

I did for mine but they didn't have the information that i wanted in them eg how to get the headlamp bulbs out.

on most cars it is a 'simple' clip arrangement of some sort.

on mine it is a plastic ring that you have to twist to release the bulb.

by the way if you had ignored the warning would it have kept your chips warm for you?.....🤣