Exploding Eggs!

Bill

I’ve always known that you can’t put an egg in a microwave because it’ll explode, but if you take it out of the shell and scramble it then it works fine. So how would you go on if you tried to poach an egg? After all, without the shell and any trapped air, then surely that should work.

The bloomin bang nearly blew the door off the microwave, splattered egg everywhere and tripped everything out. Who’d have thought something as simple as an egg could do that?

Bill 😊

To poach an egg in the microwave you first need to pierce the yoke otherwise you have your experience.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I’ve always known that you can’t put an egg in a microwave because it’ll explode, but if you take it out of the shell and scramble it then it works fine. So how would you go on if you tried to poach an egg? After all, without the shell and any trapped air, then surely that should work.

The bloomin bang nearly blew the door off the microwave, splattered egg everywhere and tripped everything out. Who’d have thought something as simple as an egg could do that?

Bill 😊

Yep Ian, but even doing that is apparently no guarantee it still won’t splatter or explode and as I’m no fan of Russian roulette, I’m going to play it safe and stick with the scrambled ones in future.

The bang from my un-pricked egg was so loud it generated a magnitude 5.3 seismic event that was felt the other side of Wigan.😄

Bill 😊

• Haha 1

a quick google says the best way is to put the egg in water so that it is covered by the water, cover the container and microwave for 30 seconds. check to see if the white has cooked if not give it another 10 seconds and check again, repeat this until cooked.

no mention of pricking the egg mentioned so not sure if that is needed or not.

oh and make sure the container it is in is microwave safe. remember mum heating a cup of tea in hers and the gold rim sparked the whole time......