A bit nippy ouside!

Bill

In case anyone’s not noticed, it’s bloomin cold outside and it looks like it’s going to stay like this until Sunday. I’ve not been out at all this week other than to put the bin out and could hardly stand up. It’s that bad, I even missed my regular Friday night beer and have just cancelled tonight’s pint with my brother. At least we’re keeping warm but it’s costing nearly a tenner a day just for the gas. You’ve got to feel sorry for those struggling to make ends meet with heating costing so much right now.

Roll on Sunday.

Bill 🥶

I’m on a side road right down a cul-de-sac Dave so it never gets gritted here and there’s not much traffic either to bring any salt onto it. Remember back in the days when people used to spread ashes on the pavements. As kids we used to make great slides on the pavement until someone came and put the ash on them.

A couple of weeks back I got some new shoes as all my others had holes in them and I reckon these must have extra slippery soles. Pity they don’t make something like cramp on spikes for regular shoes that you cold “slip” on and off as required.

No idea what the temperature is in the house as we’ve still got no thermostat.

Bill 😊

16 hours ago, Bill said:

A couple of weeks back I got some new shoes as all my others had holes in them and I reckon these must have extra slippery soles

hey seem to be made from a hard plastic these days, look the part but about as much grip as an ice skate. i had a pair of motorbike boots that were like that. rubber soles seem to have gone out of fashion.

decathlon do sell grips for shoes between £10.00 up to £300+ depending on if you are climbing Everest or just nipping to put the bin out. how good they are i have no idea as i used to rely on segs hammered into the soles and heels of my boots. gave a bit extra grip and produced impressive sparks at 30 mph if you put your foot on the road. (stopped cars tailgating at night i can tell you)

according to the clock in my back bedroom the temperature in here is 14.5 celcius. despite that i am nice and toasty warm in my dressing gown. unfortunately i will have to put some clothes on soon and go to the shop for some milk. i do hope it does warm up a bit for next week as i still have to do a food shop prior to Christmas and also need a few veg an such for Christmas dinner, sprouts and spuds mainly the rest i have already.

checked my gas usage last night and it was the highest i have had so far at £4.35 for a day.

Bit too pricey at £10 a go so I’ll have to take my chances and hope my reaction times are still good enough to stop me ending up on my backside. 😊 We desperately need to get to the shops as well Sid as we missed out on the weekly shop last week and the cupboard’s looking a bit like old mother Hubbard’s. Not looking forward to trying to get the car going. It’s not been run for a week and looks like just one big lump of white, but on the plus side, it looks every bit as good as my neighbour’s brand new car!

As for the gas, I’ve just checked mine and for the last week we’ve been at nearly £10 a day despite trying to keep it just at acceptable levels. The electric averages about £1.50 with nothing much (6p today :( ) coming from the solar panels due to the time of year and the fact that they’re completely iced over.

Bill 😊

I now what you mean about the car bill mine is the same. i did have a new battery fitted earlier this year and it seems ok so far. 

last time i ran the car was to move it up the road whilst the council tarmacked the footpath. (only took then 20 years to get round to it) that was last week and despite it being only lightly frosted then it started ok.

it's currently sat outside the house resembling an igloo. will have to try the cold tap water method first to get in it. then maybe a saline solution to try and help clear the windows. if it doesn't start though then it is lock it up and back to bed time.

by the way my electric seems to be constant at around £2.50 per day that's with at least three lights running 24/7 plus whatever is on standby or currently running like the fridge. thinking of iced over solar panels i wonder how those solar farms cope with it......🤔

I suppose the solar farms are much the same. All my four panels have a solid layer of ice on them about 10mm thick and the best I got out of them at one point yesterday was about 80 watts, hence the total saving of just 6p. I’m just wondering now what to do with this; invest it or say stuff it and go on a spending spree. 😊

We have our Christmas gets together with the in-laws at lunch time, then the weekly shopping to do after that so I’m off now to see it I can get into the car and make sure it starts. BTW, speaking of dinners, we had our works Christmas dinner last week at that new Brazilian steak house (Rio’s) in the Golden Square. Great if you like eating an endless supply of different meats but I’d have been just as happy with a good veggie burger and chips.

Bill 😊

Yep it’s a beggar when that happens and lucky you had friends to pick you up. The last time it happened to me was just a flat battery while shopping and to make matters worse, I’d left my phone at home. Bit of a long wait but the AA managed to jump start it then a new battery the next day and no probs since.

I eventually managed to get into the car this morning after pouring several bowls of tepid water over the doors, although the passenger door was well and truly frozen solid. The engine started easily and after leaving it running for half an hour the passenger door came good. Fingers crossed it dosn't freeze up like that again while we're out today.

Bill 😊

i have saved a four pint plastic milk container, ideal to use for de-icing. i generally use tap water hot and cold mixed so that it doesn't crack any glass. beauty of it is that you can get an accurate pour for defrosting doors. my car being small a full bottle will defrost all the windows,doors and headlights. a table spoon of salt seems to help as well.

had fun putting the rubbish out the lid to the wheelie bin was frozen shut again, what the neighbours think of me banging away on it to free it i shudder to think...🤦‍♀️

i will be waiting until Monday or Tuesday to do my shop as i am expecting the chemist to text me to say mrs sid' prescription is ready any time now. it is on auto repeat so i just have to wait until they get in touch which is usually the day after i have been shopping or late Friday afternoons so that i don't have time to collect it before Monday

Cold weather can cause some weird problems with cars. I have a strange knocking noise on my steering that only occurs when it gets cold. I’ve had this for several years and although the garage say there’s nothing they can see, for sure it’s getting worse.

Well, all the snow and ice has finally disappeared from the back garden thank goodness but it’s nearly eight o’clock and it’s still completely dark outside. I’m one of those people who look forward so much to reaching the winter equinox when the days start getting just that bit longer and I feel so much better.

I’ve got fifty million leaves on the ground again at the back, but the large oak in the neighbour’s garden seems determined to hold onto it’s leaves so it’s not worth doing anything yet. Hopefully we’ll get some wind in the next few days that’ll make it drop what’s left but with southerly winds that guarantees the leaves will end up in our garden.

Bill 😊