New Face to Old Name

Bill

On Tuesday night, I visited the Warrington ham radio club where I'd been a regular member for most of my life. Due to pressure of work, I hadn't been there in nearly ten years so I thought it was time for a catch up with old friends. Unfortunately there were only a couple of the original members there but I did had the good fortune of meeting and chatting to one of the old forum members. 

“Reader” was such a nice person but who hasn’t posted here for several years now. He says he still looks in occasionally and as a result was already well aware of what I’d been up to since I retired. Unsurprisingly, he lives up to his name and prefers to read more than he posts. 

It’s always good to put a face to the name and I suppose it’s one of the benefits of using a profile picture.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bill said:

On Tuesday night, I visited the Warrington ham radio club where I'd been a regular member for most of my life. Due to pressure of work, I hadn't been there in nearly ten years so I thought it was time for a catch up with old friends. Unfortunately there were only a couple of the original members there but I did had the good fortune of meeting and chatting to one of the old forum members. 

“Reader” was such a nice person but who hasn’t posted here for several years now. He says he still looks in occasionally and as a result was already well aware of what I’d been up to since I retired. Unsurprisingly, he lives up to his name and prefers to read more than he posts. 

It’s always good to put a face to the name and I suppose it’s one of the benefits of using a profile picture.

Bill 😊

Nice to know Reader is still going strong - from memory a gentleman with a first name beginning with R. Did he divulge why we had lost him?

No not really Gary and to be honest, I didn’t ask but I suspect absence rather than lost might better describe the situation. I think most social media sites have seen a tail off in recent years as novelty gets replaced with the same old same old. Even on Facebook I post maybe once or twice a year just to let my virtual friends know I’m still around but most of who I used to chat with on there, like me don’t seem to bother these days.

The only chat forums that seem to be relatively unaffected are the special interest groups where all users share the same basic interest. For example, I’ve been a member of the Alfa Romeo car forum for over twenty years and it’s just as busy now as it’s ever been but it’s a completely different kettle of fish when compared to Worldwide.

Bill 😊

Good to see you as well Reader and I’m sure Gary will be relieved to hear there wasn’t any untoward reasons for your lack of activity here. I have spells when I get busy with my projects or jobs around the house and don’t end up posting for a week or so but even then, I usually look in from time to time just to see if I’m missing anything interesting.

Bill 😊

On 10/22/2021 at 9:22 AM, reader said:

You havn't lost me.  I read the news on W-W every morning, my main source of local news. I dont spend as much time on the forum due to time spent on a forum I co-run connected with one of my hobbies. Good to see Bill Tuesday night.

Lovely to hear from you R and glad to know you still read our news pages - which is actually the whole point of our website :)  I can remember getting frustrated in the past when everyone used to live in here more often than reading the news lol - now saldy a lot of people still live in social media world where everything is here today - gone in a micro second!