The Crewe by-election result?

observer

Whilst back onto the topic.

JOB DONE as they say. Crewe & Nantwich now has a Conservative MP, Edward Timpson, with a nearly 8,000 majority, an 18% swing from Labour. The turnout was nearly as good as the General Election which was amazing for a By Election. I did some telling at Hough Village, quite an excited party atmosphere. Strange old world is politics.

I haven't won the ?500 on offer on a political blog site, for guessing the result, my guess of 2458 was well short.....a case of delighted to be wrong.....mind you the ?500 would have come in handy. :D

I understand Miss United Kingdom got 113 votes.

PS The votes ,with 2005 results in ()

Conservative 20539 (14162)

Labour 12679 (21240)

L/D 6040 (8083)

Mind you, heard Gordon on the radio today and as usual he was being blind to the obvious.... "the people want me to get on with governing the country and to get on with sorting out the current financial difficulties"............ er NO Gordon.... we want you to clear off and give us an election you slack jawed scottish prat

Personally I would rather have Miss Great Britain in Number 10 than havingf Gordon Brown. She may not have any solutions but by god I wouldn't be too worried!!

And as is always my luck, she visited the Polling Station that I did a Telling stint at ( Hough Village)......just before I arrived.

Mind you, heard Gordon on the radio today and as usual he was being blind to the obvious.... "the people want me to get on with governing the country and to get on with sorting out the current financial difficulties"............ er NO Gordon.... we want you to clear off and give us an election you slack jawed scottish prat

You're right Baz, but I think the way things are we'll have to wait until May 2010.

Must admit what I find amazing with the result is that 12,679 people voted Labour :? Seems as though the L/Ds have got a real problem, alas for them, they chose the wrong leader....again.

As someone pointed out this afternoon, Brown should call a snap election, lose and let the Tories carry the can getting us out of the financial mire.

Eh, don't be giving them ideas Peter. :D

Observer is of course correct with his earlier post. Politicians will need to manage expectations and not promise the impossible. Times are going to be hard for a fair few years hence.

As I said to somebody whilst discussing C & N, on Friday morning petrol and food prices had not reduced overnight. :wink:

But especially when times are hard, it is the job of Governments to apportion the burdens upon the broadest shoulders; something that experience indicates isn't in the Tory DNA, and (as the 10p tax fiasco proves) has been forgotten by New Labour. :roll::wink: