The Crewe by-election result?

observer

A victory for Edward Timpson will be the first Conservative by-election victory where they have taken a seat since, Merton, Mitcham & Morden in 1982 (Labour)....and the good omen was that it was held in the 1983 General Election. :wink:

I've met Edward and his Wife once, seems a decent bloke, and in touch with the real world.

Given the state that the economy is likely to be in in May 2010 my guess is it will...or should be markedly different in order to sort things out. Could be a tad painful as well for a few years...although probably not so bad for those like the former Prime Minister who I understand has raked in ?10 million this year.

But why don't they make it difficult and painful for the work shy rather than the hard working lot? If someone is not contributing through choice rather than through ability, take their benefits away and let them go begging. Bloody l;abour has been handing out my hard earned tax pounds to any sob story case that has come knocking in the last 10 years and it should stop

From what I can tell a number combine both, receive benefits and do crime. No doubt there is some small print in human rights legislation that compels the state to stump up benefit payments. The tax and benefits system needs a complete overhaul. I have no problems with helping those people down on their luck/ill etc to get back on their feet again, but to hand out benefit payments to enable them to have Sky, ciggies and inhabit the pub is an all together different matter, when hard working folk on modest wages are struggling to pay their bills and put food on the table.

From what I can tell a number combine both, receive benefits and do crime. No doubt there is some small print in human rights legislation that compels the state to stump up benefit payments. The tax and benefits system needs a complete overhaul. I have no problems with helping those people down on their luck/ill etc to get back on their feet again, but to hand out benefit payments to enable them to have Sky, ciggies and inhabit the pub is an all together different matter, when hard working folk on modest wages are struggling to pay their bills and put food on the table.

that's an interesting generalisation, given that benefits are the minimum the state thinks people need to live on. Isn't it something around ?100 per couple per week? Now that may have been a disincentive when some people were paid ?1 per hour under the Tories but since the minimum wage I doubt too many people would choose to live on such money.Particularly since in work benefits are now designed to make work pay.As a young student health worker in the early 80s family income supplement paid me ?1.60 per week to top up my pay, bearing in mind I was married with a young child it was a paltry sum.Times have changed, thankfully...

Given the state that the economy is likely to be in in May 2010 my guess is it will...or should be markedly different in order to sort things out. Could be a tad painful as well for a few years...although probably not so bad for those like the former Prime Minister who I understand has raked in ?10 million this year.

well, the tories may double VAT again of course as a way of raising a disproportionate sum of money off the least well off. :)

But why don't they make it difficult and painful for the work shy rather than the hard working lot? If someone is not contributing through choice rather than through ability, take their benefits away and let them go begging. Bloody l;abour has been handing out my hard earned tax pounds to any sob story case that has come knocking in the last 10 years and it should stop

job seekers allowance requites you look for work or are harassed within an inch of your life.I know as my teenage lad left college and signed on, for the 5 months he was looking for work he was sent on training schemes, jobstart interviews, job interviews, training days, job club,jobsearch seminars and voluntary work before he finally landed a job.His job search instructor was never off the phone...all quite right too, but if everyone gets the same treatment, and i've seen no evidence that they don't, it's hardly the life of riley.Indeed, foer those 5 months he had to borrow money just to get from job interview to job interview...

As for it being 'bloody labour' we've never had so many people in work, unlike the tories when we'd never had so many people out of work...

A victory for Edward Timpson will be the first Conservative by-election victory where they have taken a seat since, Merton, Mitcham & Morden in 1982 (Labour)....and the good omen was that it was held in the 1983 General Election. :wink:

I've met Edward and his Wife once, seems a decent bloke, and in touch with the real world.

or it could be the same sort of omen Labour had when they romped to victory at the mid staffs by election in 1990 8)8)

Oh boy...,. first we get Chrissy and the Lib-Dems now we are treated to Mutzy responding to every single criticism of the Labour Government and quoting chapetr and verse in the response.

Please explain to me Mutzy why things are really good at the moment without doing a Gordon and blaming everything on "world events" and without blaming the Tory government of 11 years ago. etc.

The country is in a bloody mess. The people do not want a Labour government anymore. Gordon Brown has lost the plot and the respect of everyone except the lapdogs in his cabinet. He bangs on about listening and learning.... well he is in for a bloody big lesson at the by elcetion. He is a bottler and has weedled his way into then out of an election just because he was a bit un-nerved by the polls.

LOabours popularity is at an all time low and he has no aces left up his sleeve. Time to call it a day and let the country decide who they want in No.10.... just like we did in '97. This pile of trough snufflers have had their day

Rant over

Just now Muttzy has his fingers in his ears and is singing " la la la la la la I can't hear you la la la la got the last la in didn't I la" :D:D:D:D

Oh boy...,. first we get Chrissy and the Lib-Dems now we are treated to Mutzy responding to every single criticism of the Labour Government and quoting chapetr and verse in the response.

Please explain to me Mutzy why things are really good at the moment without doing a Gordon and blaming everything on "world events" and without blaming the Tory government of 11 years ago. etc.

The country is in a bloody mess. The people do not want a Labour government anymore. Gordon Brown has lost the plot and the respect of everyone except the lapdogs in his cabinet. He bangs on about listening and learning.... well he is in for a bloody big lesson at the by elcetion. He is a bottler and has weedled his way into then out of an election just because he was a bit un-nerved by the polls.

LOabours popularity is at an all time low and he has no aces left up his sleeve. Time to call it a day and let the country decide who they want in No.10.... just like we did in '97. This pile of trough snufflers have had their day

Rant over

look, I realise it's much easier for everyone just to pile in behind the comically anti labour obbsy and Tory Paul Kennedy in having a pop at labour but the real world doesn't work like that. All governments eventually get unpopular, the Tories certainly did around 1989 onwards but were still re elected despite losing by elections and thousands of councillors.It's the nature of politics.You go on to state the country is in a mess- compared to what? compared to the 80s and 1990s? Do you not remember 15% interest rates, mass unemployment, inflation like a yo yo,regular recessions and the like? Doesn't mean things are perfect, but a mess? hardly.

Well you have your opinions and the rest of the country will have theirs......but I really think that once Brown is booted out, the left wingers will start to rear their ugly heads again and there will be another 18 years in the wilderness

[quote name="muttzy

look' date=' I realise it's much easier for everyone just to pile in behind the comically anti labour obbsy and Tory Paul Kennedy in having a pop at labour [/quote]

I always like to think my comments are objective rather than subjective...as evidenced by my "signature", personally I like to have a pop at everybody....myself included :wink:

With regards to "Tory", guess you didn't read the L/D election literature Muttzy, they described me as "Top Warrington Tory"....most kind of them. :D

PS With regards to C & N , seeing what is going on there it makes one think that Candidates' By Election expenses should be limited to those of General Elections...about ?10,000 instead of ?100,000.

[quote name="muttzy

look' date=' I realise it's much easier for everyone just to pile in behind the comically anti labour obbsy and Tory Paul Kennedy in having a pop at labour [/quote]

I always like to think my comments are objective rather than subjective...as evidenced by my "signature", personally I like to have a pop at everybody....myself included :wink:

With regards to "Tory", guess you didn't read the L/D election literature Muttzy, they described me as "Top Warrington Tory"....most kind of them. :D

PS With regards to C & N , seeing what is going on there it makes one think that Candidates' By Election expenses should be limited to those of General Elections...about ?10,000 instead of ?100,000.

by elections always cost more than the GDP of a small nation.I thought you were a top warrington tory- was that meant to be a Focus put down?

Ha ha! :lol: Nice to see Mutz going down with the sinking ship; nice while it lasted, all those election victories and promises (remember - "things can only get better"?); all wasted, thrown away in an orgy of superficial legislative tinkering, without anything of fundemental lasting benefit to the Nation or it's people. :cry::wink:

Ha ha! :lol: Nice to see Mutz going down with the sinking ship; nice while it lasted, all those election victories and promises (remember - "things can only get better"?); all wasted, thrown away in an orgy of superficial legislative tinkering, without anything of fundemental lasting benefit to the Nation or it's people. :cry::wink:

No lasting benefit? NHS walk in centres, new GP surgeries, hospital rebuilds, rebuilding most of the country's secondary schools with schools for the future, minimum wage, pensioners can afford to pay their winter heating bills, massive expansion of free nursery provison ,an economy the Tories could only dream of,no regular tory recessions...oh things got better alright 8)8)8)8)

Given the amount of money spent, I would expect to see something for it....alas not enough, no where near enough, money has been wasted hand over fist.

Indeed things have changed, first run on a mainstream bank in well over a hundred years, and a credit crisis that is going to get much worse, because the Labour run economy was not based on sound money but rather property prices. The Conservatives handed Labour a benign economy, Labour will hand the Conservatives an economy in dire straights. C'est la vie....we'll sort it out...again. :wink:

Given the amount of tax-payer's money thrown at health and education by NEW Labour, one would expect an improvement, BUT:- in the case of PFI schemes, we've been ripped off and the next two generations will be paying the bill. Poly-clinics, not actually of the ground yet, but clearly a threat of downsizing our hospital services as a result (already happened with the Warrington - Halton amalgamation). Hospitals now one of the unsafest locations - MRSA etc. Education? More leaving now unable to read or write, dumbed down degrees to get the rest into Uni. Teachers struggling with classes using a dozen different first languages. An absolute dog's breakfast - so don't try kidding folk - they no longer believe the spin. :wink: