RIP Roger

Latchford Locks

Former Liverpool and England striker Roger Hunt has died at the age of 83, the Premier League club has announced.

Hunt was part of England's 1966 World Cup-winning side and is Liverpool's record league scorer with 244 goals.

Hunt won 34 England caps, scoring 18 international goals after making his debut in 1962 when Liverpool were still in the second tier of English football.

He played in every game of the 1966 World Cup and scored three times to help England out of their group.

I remember watching him play for Stockton Heath in the 1950's

• 3 weeks later...

Hearse outside Liverpool FC's Anfield stadium

Comedian and Liverpool fan Jimmy Tarbuck was one of those paying tribute during the hour-long service.

"To be born a gentleman is an accident, to die one is an achievement," he said.

"Thanks for all the pleasure I got from watching you, it was just a joy. I am honoured to be called a friend of yours."

Liverpool legends Roy Evans, Kevin Keegan, Ian Callaghan and Ian Rush were also among the mourners.

The final hymn played at the end of the service was the Liverpool anthem You'll Never Walk Alone.

RIP Sir Roger

A true gentleman who i had the pleasure of meeting on several occasions over the years.

He was always supportive of Warrington Town, signing shirts for the club several times. Last time I saw him was on Warrington town's famous FA Cup run.