Digital strip searches ?

Due to failures in court, the CPS has brought in the idea of alleged rape victims surrendering their mobile phones for examination by the Police.  Aside from the privacy issues, looking around at today's female population, depriving them of their phones could mean the end of their world and possibly mass suicides !    But what if they maintain two phones -  a private one and one they can hand in to the Police ?

Both will have their numbers registered to them and no doubt both phones will have the others number in them. (just in case one gets mislaid so they can ring it to see if it is anywhere near)

I have two numbers as does Mrs sid. mainly because we got orange mobile when it first came out and then a virgin mobile phone as calls from a landline cost nothing if they are both virgin.

However where Mrs sid has two phones i have only one but with dual sim capability. This means that i only have to carry one phone around instead of two.

In the alleged victims case then surely if they are genuine then there is no problem with handing over the phone. To clone the sim only takes about five minutes copying files from the phone to a hard drive about the same. Once done the phone can be handed back and all the information on the phone examined at leisure.

On 5/5/2019 at 2:14 PM, Observer II said:

Due to failures in court, the CPS has brought in the idea of alleged rape victims surrendering their mobile phones for examination by the Police.  Aside from the privacy issues, looking around at today's female population, depriving them of their phones could mean the end of their world and possibly mass suicides !    But what if they maintain two phones -  a private one and one they can hand in to the Police ?

I think one of the issues with the CPS failures was an unwillingness to disclose evidence even when the police and CPS knew it was there. This is what happens when you set people target rates for prosecutions and invert the presumption of innocence to make it easier to hit them.  

• Upvote 1