Post Truth ?

observer

Seems a new phrase has entered the political dictionary - the "post truth world";   in which opinion dressed as fact swirls around the internet to the point of being "fake" news.  But have things really changed, or has the monopoly of Governments and the media over news finally been sussed by the Plebs, who have discovered that the liberal outpouring from the BBC et al, doesn't match their anecdotal experience on the ground; experience that is now being widely shared on social media ?   So we're now left with a situation where people only believe what they want to believe and what their own experience tells them ?  The latest claim by the CIA, that Russian hackers interfered with the US election, is another "you couldn't make it up" item, except they probably have made it up.  The US military-industrial complex relies on selling ever more sophisticated weapons systems to the US Gov, worth $trillions;  and to justify this, one needs enemies, and Russia and China are top of the US list.  So, establishment politicians like Clinton are more than happy to promote confrontation between super-States in order to perpetuate the cycle of proxy wars and arms sales.  Likewise, blundering Boris upsets the Saudis with a glimmer of truth about their promotion and financing of Islamic extremism, and is quickly slapped down by a PM, conscious of the fact that we sell arms to the Saudis, which keep folk employed in the UK.  All of it the politics of cynicism, which the population at large are now starting to figure out.

Populist, fascist. racist, ignorant, misinformed, extreme right - all terms used by those who wish to shut down (and shout down) argument when they don't actually have a coherent argument of their own to use. In other words, I don't agree with you so I will therefore label you as someone socially unacceptable.

"Popular" =  1. liked or admired by many people. 2. of, for, or prevalent among the general public. "Populist" = an adherent of a party claiming to support the interests of ordinary people.  So, given that politics is about winning majority support in a democracy, please explain what's the problem with populism ? Or do you subscribe to the view, that democracy is alright, as long as your doing de-mocking ? !

Just confirms my view Asp, that our TV news needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt nowadays. Sadly, most of it now amounts to liberal luvvie propaganda suitable for digestion in the dining rooms of the Metropolitan elite. The sooner this war is ended, the sooner the killing will stop, and that means having a winner. The Russians are providing a winner and thus bringing this tragedy to a close. Alas, the anti-Russian, cold war sentiment of Western establishments, prefers to extend the suffering by backing anti-Assad elements (which include ISIS). As for alleged "war crimes", war itself is the crime imo; and the illusion that ordanance is now so smart that it won't cause collateral damage, is another illusion being spread by the West. As we've seen in Yemen, US backed Saudi bombings have killed lots of civilians, but little mention of "war crimes" by our media and Gov in that context. Indeed, far from it, we're still doing £multi-million arms deals with the Saudis. Hypocracy is rife.

In a democracy, the majority vote decides the outcome; that majority is based on popularity, or perhaps the least not popular. It's only the arrogant minority, who have the intellectual pretentions to know better than the herd, who don't like their elitist position being challenged - finally.

Lots of people voted for Brexit Obs, it's arrogance to think they all voted for it to give the establishment a bloody nose, quite a lot believed the lie on the NHS, others believed the lie on immigration, others were harking back to when we ruled the world.

I would really like to see your evidence on these assertions of yours. I've seen "evidence" (no doubt just as false) that millions of people who voted remain (and others who didn't vote) wish they had voted to leave. So, given that it was a once only vote, (and please try and convince me that if the vote had gone the other way and the leave side had called for any sort of review or second referendum they wouldn't have been dismissed out of hand) what is your problem? Did you think for one minute that there wouldn't be some sort of reaction whichever way the vote went? I for one am sick to the back teeth of being told that I voted to leave because I'm a pig-ignorant, knuckle dragging racist who should be named, shamed and thrown out of the country.

How quickly you forget that Farage was after a second reforendom if the result was close, and it was close, I think Farage wanted a second referendum if there was less than a 10% majority

Feel free to correct me

And the winning side don't have 10 % do they?

And I don't think they even have a majority now, as people are waking to the cost

How quickly you forget that Farage was after a second reforendom if the result was close, and it was close, I think Farage wanted a second referendum if there was less than a 10% majority

Feel free to correct me

And the winning side don't have 10 % do they?

And I don't think they even have a majority now, as people are waking to the cost

99% of all voters would vote to leave if there was a referendum.... that's a fact....

what you don't believe me? It's true, honest, I saw it on the internet alongside a poll that said most voters with a modicum of sense could read what the writing said on the side of the Leave bus and understand it.... only the stupid thought it meant they were saying that £350 million a week would be spent on the NHS..... didn't you Kije ?? :)

Why don't you check on what Farage said Baz

He said it a number of times, including election night

you didn't say that you said it was on the side of the bus.... it wasn't (as I have shown above) you can apologise at your leisure.... I won't keep badgering you for a suitable response like you often do :)

• Upvote 1