New Swing Bridge Alert System

Dizzy

front page news... ok and it will be interesting to see if it works but what about people who don't have access to the internet or ones who don't use facebook and/or twitter on their phones ?
Is it safe to be alerting people via mobile phones when they are driving, I guess it is as long as the person driving pulls over to read it.

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/18753/1/Swing-bridge-alerts---if-you-have-a-smartphone/Page1.html

or the people who get the text alert whilst driving from winwick road and decidethat as they are stuck in the traffic there they can see what it is and then get fined and points for using  a mobile whilst driving.

if you have to use your mobile whilst in a car as a driver you must pull over somewhere safe AND turn off your engine other wise you could still get done for using a mobile whilst driving. that said hands free kits are readily available and cheap enough these days so no real excuses.

• 2 weeks later...

I did notice that there was an alert on a certain other warrington papers site the other day. there were three in fact listing what bridge would be closed to trafice and when. about a ten minute gap between each if i remember rightly.

haven't got the app on my phone, but then my phone don't do apps and as i very rarely go south of the canal these days it would not be of much use to me.(unless i was a avid boat spotter that is and wanted to suddenly rush down to the canal to watch it go past) :mellow:

I don't use apps or facebook on my phone either Evils but hey I never thought of checking online via my pc then running down with my camera to get some photo's of the boats passing through.

It's a shame the new alert system doesn't give the names of each one, it's size, where they are from, where they are going and what they are carrying as at least that would be a bit more interesting and anyone with the alert system on their phones who's still get stuck in the traffic would have something to read and google while they are sitting there :lol:  OK so maybe not..... :lol:

Maybe you could get somebody to develop an app that will use the alert to automatically pull up ships ais so that all you need to do is look at your phone and you would have all the info you needed. (if you do and it takes off when sales top £1million cut me in for 1% I am not greedy)

latest Alert from the facebook system posted at time 16.10 and 6 seconds said

A5060 Chester Rd Swing bridge to close to traffic in 35 minutes, then A49 London Rd & A50 Knutsford Rd bridge. Possible delays. 16:10:6

So that would mean the Chester Road swing bridge would close to traffic at  4.45 pm

The boat was half way between Chester Road and Stockton Heath bridges at 5.05pm (I saw it pass as I was walking along and noted the time :lol: ) so the Chester Road Bridge would have just re-opened to Traffic and the Stockton Heath one would just have started to closed to traffic so they aren't too far out

Quite a lot do already go down mid evening and occasionally just before midnight Ann.  There was a spell where they were sometimes going down at around 2am too and they always used to wake me up but I've not heard one for a while.

Saying that I think Coastal Deniz has been replaced by a bigger one now but the new one must be quieter than Deniz as you could hear the rumblings of that one coming from much further down the canal.  It made a right racket (day or night) and the vibrations from it used to make things in the house shake.  I do sort of miss it though as we used to say Coastal D's on it way :lol:

GOOD cos they would really get on my nerves as they sound so much louder at night :D

Looking at all the new bridge alerts though it seems there's only been one or two that have gone through at rush hour morning/tea time anyway so maybe if that stays the same it wont be a huge problem anyway.

But what is to stop them laying up and waiting for the tide at the end of the canal. Ok so coming up from liverpool I can understand the need to get into the canal at high tide, but leaving they could wait. The deniz and its replacement thea 2 only ever went from manchester to the seaforth docks and back.

I know it is costly to have a ship tied up doing nothing but if it has to wait for the tide then surely the waiting time would be the same wherever it was waiting.

Or is there some maritime something or other that I am missing.