St James? Wilderspool? Confused !

Dizzy

I have been given some photo's tonight and just had a quick look through but where is this and I'm sure the title and date must be wrong.

To me it looks the area around where Brian Bevan Island is now a the junction of Wilderspool Causeway (on the left where the bus is), Chester Road to the right and Bridge Foot area out of shot lower right.   But surely that is St James Church still standing in the photo and it's still there today.

There's no way that is the 1990's either as I would remember it happening and quiet sleepy roads, one lone cyclist and few pedestrians.... naah it must be wrong as I'd been driving for nearly 8 years then... unless I scared everyone else off the roads of course :lol:

Damn I wish I had asked before everyone else had gone to bed as it's already frustrating me.

stjameschurchdemolition1990s_zps8cda33dc

Dizz, In the bottom photo - where the cyclists are is Wilderspool Causeway, the Crosville Garage is in the middle and Riverside Rd. leading to Chester Rd. on the right. The properties demolished (foreground) included Marshalls newsagents and the Ring 'O' Bells. The photo was taken from perhaps the top of a building or maybe the raiway crossings footbridge.

These are photos you posted a while back.

pullingdowntheNortonArmsHotel_zps058e088

lookingupChesterroadfromtheceossings_zps

Just had a quick look at the building of the wilderspool bridge video . it looks like the picture could have been taken from the signal box at the old level crossing. According to that video the work was started in 1955 so that date is definitely wrong. st james church is still there and up to a few years ago the clock was still wound by hand.

Someone had clearly had one too many when they titled that one then :lol:   Thanks peeps :)

I wonder what the large long building was that looks like it has advertising hoardings on the side of in front of it. 

Doesn't look like a row of houses as there are no chimneys on the top.   

Someone had clearly had one too many when they titled that one then :lol:   Thanks peeps :)

I wonder what the large long building was that looks like it has advertising hoardings on the side of in front of it. 

Doesn't look like a row of houses as there are no chimneys on the top.   

I remember that clearly Dizz, it was exactly that, just hoardings with waste ground behind it up to the side of the Crosville garage.

Ta Algy.  Is there anything you don't know :D

What you need to remember Dizz is that I was 15/16 years old when that photo was taken and a lot of the old buildings were still around then. The old river cutting was still there and not filled in then and it actually came almost up to the rear of the Crosville garage and the Warrington Sea Cadet hut was behind there also, the cadets had a whaler moored in the river at that point.

No they did not go whaling, wailing possibly, but not whaling. Being SEA cadets they would need to practice their sailing skills, with the decline of the whaling industry old whaling ships were frequently donated to the likes of the sea cadets for training purposes.

Also you don't get whales in the mersey. You may be able to get to wales from the mersy though if you went round the wirral peninsula without getting lost.

Sid you do get whales in the Mersey, i'm sure in the 1950's a whale beached on Curedly marshes but can't find any traces of the topic on the net, i believe it was cut up and taken to Quennels at Penketh.

The one below is 1958.

The return of seals and dolphins over the past few years is quite a regular sight on the Mersey and in particular just off the Liverpool Landing Stage. This would appear to confirm that fish are here and in plentiful supply. A minke whale,found its way into the river in August 1998 and became stranded by the tide at Widnes. The whale had to be assisted with a large support sling and be kept wet. Then in conjunction with the RSPCA she was refloated with the support sling and assisted back out to the open sea. At one stage she looked back as though to say "thanks" as she proceeded out freedom!
pic14.jpg
This year a killer whale was spotted by people on board the Mersey Ferry whilst making the way from Liverpool to Birkenhead. We were alerted and asked to attend as it was reported as a large shark! All of a sudden we could almost hear the "Jaws" theme! We searched the area but could not find it. Later in the day it made its way to the Widnes area, became stranded by the tide and unfortunately died.

Since seeing the killer whale all the staff have been reluctant to enter the water for training purposes, suprisingly enough! The motto is "always lead by example" but since then, the crew goes in first!

tiny.giftiny.giftiny.giftiny.giftiny.gif

No they did not go whaling, wailing possibly, but not whaling. Being SEA cadets they would need to practice their sailing skills, with the decline of the whaling industry old whaling ships were frequently donated to the likes of the sea cadets for training purposes.

Also you don't get whales in the mersey. You may be able to get to wales from the mersy though if you went round the wirral peninsula without getting lost.

I was being sarky Sid, let's face it Warrington isn't exactly renowned for it's whaling industry, we've only just persuaded the salmon back let alone anything else! 

I know I.m veering off topic, but -

Did you hear about Mick asking Pat where he was going to in such a hurry,

Pat replied, "I'm off to see Moby Dick, are you coming".

"I can't stand those sex films Pat"

"It's not a sex film Mick, it's all about Whales

"Then I'm definitely not coming Pat, I can't stand those bloody Welsh buggers.