The defence of Europe.

observer

Seems the recent sinking and loss of life off the coast of Lampadusa, has the Brussels political elite wringing their hands and wondering just what to do about the current migrant invasion of Europe. With 26 million unemployed in the EU and cuts in public services caused by austerity programmes; it's difficult to make a case for allowing more onto the life boat. So what are they actually doing to repel borders?

Kije keeps throwing round a figure of .01% of UK population for immigration, which equates to around 60,000; think you need to add a couple of zeros onto that Kije, to get near the reality. The average net immigration over the last decade has been around 250,000 per year.

I've given you  figures to choose from, now YOU tell us which one is nearest to the reality - 0.01%/ 0.1%/ 1% or 10%? Just to give you a clue, the last census indicated 33% of Londoners were born outside the UK. btw: according to a news report tonight, there's been over a 70% increase in the number of EU immigrants arriving WITHOUT having secured a job. so I guess we can't depend on them to support the services they consume with taxes?!

Why should I have to submit "figures"; when it's you who are trying to minimise the problem; even the Government has lost accurate data on this, but in terms of total immigration over the past decade (ie: non-British born), we need to be talking about millions; which makes your percentage a nonsense. NB> the average "net" immigration into the UK has been running at 250,000 per year. or a million every four years. But "net" deletes British born emigrants (those leaving the UK)from the equation, thus the figure for actual non-British born entry will be higher still.

That's the straw that Kije is trying to clutch, I'm citing TOTAL immigration of folk not born in the UK, which includes all EU entrants. It's also noticeable, that the porous borders of S/Europe give access to the rest of the EU, with the exception of the UK. Which makes the performance of the UKBF even more important as the last line of defence.

I think this forum should incorporate a virtual green room where composure can be regained .

Good idea or how about just a locked storage container or a cage somewhere... padded gloves and head gear optional... PLEASE GARY !!!!!! :|  :lol: