Manc Ship Canal movements

Geoffrey Settle

This week I ventured across the ship canal from Latchford and the bells rang and the barriers came down. As I'd walked across I'd looked towards Manchester and then towards Liverpool and seen nothing and windered what was goin on.

After waiting minutes more the bridge slowly started to turn but why?

As you can see this is why a little boat chugged along. Has the bridge swung just so that the mast wouldn't be bent?

Is this normal and what will be the number of swings when the Peel Holdings boats really start going up and down the canalwith their container loads ships - in fact has anyone noticed a change in traffic already?

IMG02587-20130918-1121_zps769b7711.jpg

• Upvote 1

I mentioned it in August Geoff as I thought there seemed to be more movements of the bigger ships that usual.  (topic goes off track a little bit every so often but smaller boats and masts were mentioned too)

http://forum.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/index.php?/topic/10467-increase-of-shipping-msc/?hl=manchester ship canal

I don't tend to see many little ones going past though so maybe not many go down... or maybe they are quieter and don't make the loud rumbling noise or  things rattle like the big ones do so I don't notice.

seem to be about three container ships that travel from Liverpool to Manchester and back, one of of which is the coastal deniz (currently at Liverpool loading up for the next run). The smaller ones may be tugs or the ship canal company pilot boats. have noted one or two dredgers around the canal in places as well, maybe they are dredging to prepare for the increase in the near future.

Cannot say that i have noticed any increase but then again i don't get up that end as much as i used to do.(actually don't get out much at the moment but that is just me being lazy)  :mrgreen:

I do keep an eye on the ships ais page though just to see what traffic is around the canal area and get emails about the sarnia liberty's comings and goings as well as a couple of others that i have developed an interest in. I suppose that makes me a sort of marine equivalent of a "train spotter" :cry:  :cry:  :oops:

I do keep an eye on the ships ais page though just to see what traffic is around the canal area and get emails about the sarnia liberty's comings and goings as well as a couple of others that i have developed an interest in. I suppose that makes me a sort of marine equivalent of a "train spotter" :cry:  :cry:  :oops:

Sid, if you have an interest in ships or shipping this link will take you to an excellent worldwide website called 'Shipspotting':-

"The Best Ship Information, Ship Photos and Shipping News! 1,544,637 photos online!"

http://www.shipspotting.com/

I have a photo account on there

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/search.php?search_uid=11034