International Day of the Seafarer

asperity

International Seafarer's Day (sorry but I've never heard of it before)  :oops:   Should I have sent my bother-in-law a card and pressy ?  Saying that I usually forget his birthday so he wont be too surprised or upset. that I didn't send him any well wishes today either.  Admiral Brown though eh?  I had no idea  :lol:   8)    

It's an initiative by the IMO to raise awareness around the world of the vital role the seafarer plays in world commerce. There are thousands of seafarers on thousands of ships who are away from home for months on end, often on very poor wages, often denied shore leave when the ship does arrive in port. Without shipping our world would be a poorer place. This is the third annual Day of the Seafarer.

• Upvote 2

Once upon a time there was a famous sea captain; called Asperity . This captain was very successful at what he did; for years he guided merchant ships, from a world famous company, all over the world.

Never did stormy seas or pirates get the best of him. Captain Asperity was admired by his crew and fellow captains. However, there was one thing different about this captain. Every morning he went through a strange ritual. He would lock himself in his captain's quarters and open a small safe.

In the safe was an envelope with a piece of paper inside. He would stare at the paper for a minute, and then lock it back up. After, he would go about his daily duties.

For years this went on, and his crew became very curious. Was it a treasure map? Was it a letter from a long lost love? Everyone speculated about the contents of the strange envelope.

Sadly, one day Captain Asperity died at sea as he would have wished. After laying the captain's body to rest, the First Officer led the entire crew into the captain's cabin. He opened the safe, got the envelope, and opened it.

The first officer and the ship's navigating officer, turned pale and showed the paper to the others.

Four words were on the paper, two on two lines:

Port Left

Starboard Right

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the explanation Asp.   I must admit that all that had never occurred to me.  I will think differently next time I hear or watch one of the large ships going past my house.  I'll give them all a big cheerful and appreciative wave :)

Unfortunately for that line of thinking, looking into someone's cabin through a porthole is something NOBODY on a ship would ever do. Looks like you'll have to fall back on the x-ray vision option Wolfie. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bloody hell Asp, you'll be telling me next that when the Captain shouts 'all hands on deck' it's not for a game of Twister.

As for Diz ......... I once dated a girl who owned a parrot.

The thing would never shut up.

The parrot was cool though.