Peace in Palastine?

observer

Israel has 190 Jewish only settlements in the occupied lands, they have just announced their biggest ever expansion of the settlements, which means new settlements and expansion of the old ones.

Are they right to do so Wolfie?

It was the announcement of the settlements which sparked the rockets.

The truth is that the vast majority of settlements have been built in uninhabited areas and even the handful established in or near Arab towns did not force any Palestinians to leave.

Altogether, built-up settlement area is less than two percent of the disputed territories.

In Gaza, Israel’s intent was to withdraw completely, and no settlements were viewed as vital to Israel for economic, security, or demographic reasons.

Ironically, while Palestinians complain about settlements, an estimated 35,000 work in them and support a population of more than 200,000.

while In 2010, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu froze settlement construction for 10 months and the Palestinians refused to engage in peace negotiations.

Building of settlements by Israelis is in no civilised way an excuse for lobbing high explosive rockets onto innocent civilians. I think this says more about how uncivilised Hamas is than anything. Anyone who tries to excuse the murderous behaviour of Hamas towards Israelis and their own Palestinian population in Gaza (many of the casualties in Gaza have been caused by Hamas missiles which failed to reach the border) should be ashamed.

The whole of the international community are against the settlements, they have also build in East Jerusalem, and forced Arabs out of east Jerusalem. The settlements are their to extend Israeli territory. I have no problem with Israel when they are behind their internationally recognised border..

Why not - Wolfie? Cos the borders have been agreed and settled for some time now; and each group should be staying within them. If all the Poles over here started building their own settlements, don't think the Brits would be pleased - or on second thoughts they might! :wink:

we already have Jewish ghettos, muslim ghettos, Chinese ghettos.... why not Polish ones?

:D nice one Baz! :wink: Asp: as far as I'm aware, racially both sides are "semites", it's their religions that differ. I'm well aware of the perception that the Israelis have exibited a fine work ethic, in turning deserts into productive land etc; but that's no excuse for stealing land from it's original owners, who may wish to continue to live in the Middle Ages. :wink:

The Palestinians weren't the owners of the West Bank, in fact they have never had a nation, so they cannot be having land stolen off them. If they hadn't been so badly led, used and neglected by their leaders and so called "brothers" over the years they would be enjoying prosperity that would be envied by their neighbours. And since when has it been a "perception" that Israelis have a fine work ethic? They certainly have turned a wasteland into a country to be envied in short order despite being under attack from all sides. Why don't you criticise the anti humanitarian nature of Hamas and their supporters who are keeping Gaza in a state of siege by their aggression? You must be watching/listening to the Hamas apologists on the BBC too much.

And, Obs, your last sentence speaks volumes :roll: :roll:

Individuals "owned" land, irrespective of whether the land was part of the Ottoman Empire, the British Mandate or Trans-Jordan etc. Many have been evicted from their properties, to make way for Jewish settlement. As for Hamas, didn't they win the last election in Gaza? :unsure:

Israel does not requisition private land for the establishment of settlements. Housing construction is allowed on private land only after determining that no private rights will be violated. The settlements also do not displace Arabs living in the territories. The media sometimes gives the impression that for every Jew who moves to the West Bank, several hundred Palestinians are forced to leave. The truth is that the vast majority of settlements have been built in uninhabited areas and even the handful established in or near Arab towns did not force any Palestinians to leave.

I see those peace loving Palestinians; who so desperately want a ceasefire, have blown up a bomb on a bus in Tel-Aviv....

If I was Israel, I would send in the jets, the tanks, the troops and even the boy scouts if necessary, but I wouldn't enter into dialogue with any of those murdering terrorists and wouldn't stop until the last Hamas scumbag is drawing his last breath....

• 2 weeks later...

That's the trouble with the Israelis. They inflame the situation and aggravate the Arab world with this waving two fingers at Palestine by continually building these houses. Another downside is the message it sends to their own people, who get hacked off when the houses get pulled down.

PS. seems our government aren't too happy either.

• Upvote 1