Winwick Street Development

chriswolves

I was just reading about Winwick Street in the early 1900's and the accompanying picture looked pretty much the same as it did just a couple of years back. Even back then the place was described as a disgrace so new developments it can't come soon enough for me just as long as it?s not more bloody flats!

Speaking of development areas, while I was doing the UTube video thing of the Latchford locks, I noticed from the satellite shots of the area, just how much land the former Richmond?s or was it British Aluminium sites took up. There?s enough land there now to build a whole city of flats and maybe leave what bit of open space we have left free from the things!

Bill :)

[ 01.01.2008, 10:36: Message edited by: Bill ]

I wonder where all the people that used to work on the land off Battersby Lane, Latchford Locks etc actually work now. Surely not in our town.

As for the stadium, I hope you're joking. Do you ever use the stadium? If so you will see how easy it is for people to get to without using cars, something that an out of town centre site couldn't match. I suppose you are one of these who gets held up in traffic an extra 5 minutes on the 14 occasions that the RL club plays there each year.

Originally posted by T F and the Wire:

I wonder where all the people that used to work on the land off Battersby Lane, Latchford Locks etc actually work now. Surely not in our town.

As for the stadium, I hope you're joking. Do you ever use the stadium? If so you will see how easy it is for people to get to without using cars, something that an out of town centre site couldn't match. I suppose you are one of these who gets held up in traffic an extra 5 minutes on the 14 occasions that the RL club plays there each year.

Why would I be joking? There was plenty of space up and away near the motorways in this town to build it but of course it would never have been built there because Tesco had wanted to build a store in the town centre for years... and once they latched onto the stadium/store package they were on to a winner!. It would have been easy enough to stick a bus on from town to an outlying area

I guess I do get held up in the traffic occasionally and yes it does annoy me. I have no interest in the game as do the majority of the town if the attendance figures compared to population can be used as a guide, although you would think that the way the club is promoted that it is the be all and end all of the town.

I am also of the understanding that the club "borrowed" some funds from the council a few years back... was that repaid?

[ 01.01.2008, 16:42: Message edited by: BazJ ]

Can you imagine a stadium at Birchwood, where 95% of speccies would have to use motorised transport to get there? How many buses would you have to put on to convey just 50% of an average crowd of 11000. Where it is now can be easily reached by scheduled buses, can be reached on foot, and is ideally placed for trains.

It might not mean much to you, but for 12000 of our population of 190 000, it does. Percentage wise, its probably no worse that Liverpool, Wigan, Man City etc.

It also promotes our town. Ask a southener if they have heard of Warrington, they will probably mention RL.

As for the loan, we would have gone bust without it. Bear in mind that it is not interest free so the council will get back more than they lent. I'm sure just as much money is being directed to schemes that I couldn't care less about, or am absolutely against, but thats democracy.

We all know that the Tesco used the stadium to get the store and vice-versa, but we don't care. We got what we want. I don't mind being used.

I get the impression that you are an out-of-towner who has moved in and wants to stamp your views on us locals.

Originally posted by T F and the Wire:

I get the impression that you are an out-of-towner who has moved in and wants to stamp your views on us locals.

Ha Ha.... you must be joking. I was born and bred in Bewsey 40 odd years ago. My mum still lives there and I have no interest in rugby league even though I can remember cheering the last time Warrington won the challenge cup back in 1974.... Paul Cullen was in the year above me at school and rugby was pushed across the board at school from the day we started there.... I still have no interest.

So by your reckoning, if a local company or organisation is on the verge of going bust, a quick loan from the council with what seems to be an open ended term would be an OK way out?

This council is closing all sorts of facilities because of lack of money and yet saw fit to bail out a rugby club? Would it have mattered if it went bust? surely there are other clubs nearby? Wigan, Widnes, Leigh to name a few.... they could have shared the 12000 supporters between them.its only a game after all!! :D

[ 03.01.2008, 00:31: Message edited by: BazJ ]

No mate.... I am a typical Bewsey resident living in Westbrook. I have an old abandoned car on my drive (actually my 2nd Corsair which is due for repair in the spring) just like my old MK V cortina which was on the drive at my mums house for many a year!

I have however never owned a football shirt of any denomination although I once bought my oldest son a Man Utd shirt and my business partner bought him a Liverpool shirt!!

As for changing sides etc. surely it is best to be backing a winner? so you follow the one which wins the league.... or does it not work like that in rugby?? :D:D

Anyway, back to the original topic. I see that the last remaining premises, TP Textiles has closed and relocated on Kingsway. So it looks like things are progressing.

There's an article of WWW stating that work will start later this year. That seems a long time to wait.

I would expect that once we see the car park close, work would be imminent.

I'll just be glad not to have to trapse to the Traff.

warrington is just becoming more and more another bland town, with the same shops selling the same stuff, laid out in the same way.

we (locals) are being forced out by change soon warrington will be a cosmo shopping city.

have you seen a "local shop, for local people" recently, I miss the old second hand shops that used to be in town, jerry's, ron specners, Mrs Wooleys of leonard street :( .. nope clear the way theres more Tesco's and ASDA's needed, I beleive we now have a sumerfield not to mention a subway for every street corner !