Speed Cameras

wolfie

Flashing your lights is illegal anyway, I believe.

The correct interpretation is that lights should only be flashed to tell another road user you are there.

You are there :?:?:? You are where ??

Are you supposed to flash every other user to let them know you are there? :?:?

Hmmmm! The Highway code states: "Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users."

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

As I said before, the custom is now to flash when allowing other cars to go first or for lots of other reasons, but they are all incorrect and cause confusion when different people use them for different reasons!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it, the Highway Code isn't exactly up to date or in step with modern motoring. It still quotes exactly the same total stopping distances from 30, 50 and 70mph as it did 30 years ago - despite the advent of ABS, ventilated brake discs, servo assisted braking, far better tyres, high grip road surfaces, better suspension systems, and any number of other advances which have reduced the real world stopping distances of the average car to well below the quoted values.

Quite right Inky, but don't forget that included in the 'total' stopping distance there is an element of 'thinking' and as thinking can be affected by tiredness alcohol, drugs and distractions then proportionaly as the braking distance may have gone down, the thinking may well have gone up.......................... I think :?:?

The thinking distance elements quoted are based on an average driver unimpaired by tiredness or alcohol.

There may be a slight increase in the level of distraction experienced by a modern driver, but there is also a great increase in the standard of driver training and skill since the days when a driving licence was simply purchased from the Post Office!

I reckon the thinking distance element of the total isn't going to be much different from the original quoted figures, but this is only a very small element.

The Institute of Advanced Motorists state that actual braking distance from a given speed of a modern car is approximately half that of a car from 30 years ago. And then there is also the fact that ABS now allows the driver to steer while braking hard without skidding - significantly further reducing the likelihood of a collision.

It all goes to make something of a mockery of the Highway Code, and the speed limits we still have left over from the days when it was written.

They don't go fast enough Dizzy and they are very intimidating to drive on motorways so I don't bother.....

It is hard to believe that my dad used to take us away in his Corsair (that was only a 1700 engine too!)with a caravan strapped to the back and we would happily trek down to Bournemouth and Paignton and the like......

I don't feel good taking mine as far as Tatton Park for the classic car show!