asperity

First visit

I went to my first ever game at the Halliwell Jones last night and really enjoyed it despite the final result. I'll be back!

My first game ever was as a young lad of 10 and the game was Feathersone Rovers at home in the cup 2nd round ( February 1961)
Donning my new Wires scarf and armed with a massive wooden rattle( ex Air Raid Warden's) I was ready for my indoctrination.Just as I was setting off my Dad shouted to me "Don't forget to look out for the number 2 winger Bevan he's the best player that has ever played for us" wow that was some statement and I couldn't wait to see this super hero !
Well here I was at Wilderspool and the atmosphere was electric as Wire entered the arena to the roar of a packed crowd.

Then shock horror I realised Bevan wasn't playing but instead some old man who was bald with no teeth ,thin as a rake and swathed in more bandages than an Egyptian mummy was on the wing instead.!
Oh well not to worry I watched the game and was still captivated for life with my beloved Wire.
Even though we lost 13-10.
I got home and told my Dad all about the game and how we probably got beat because Bevan never played and I then described this old man who had taken his place.
Suddenly I felt a clip around my ear as Dad told me that WAS Brian Bevan !!!
Happy days happy memories.:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1