Police warning.....

Dizzy

Warrington police have issued this warning via their Cheshire Police Alert system (which I'm subscribed to).

Not very specific and does it mean we should NOT open any emails from any companies at all ?  It doesn't make sense to me and what do they mean by 'real organisations' ?

Most of the emails I get are never expected and I get loads from the likes of from Argos, Tesco etc showing their offers and some from job websites too for my son so are we not supposed to open any of those either ?

In fact the police warning came via email...perhaps I shouldn't have opened that either

I'm confused now...as usual :blink:  :lol: 

Heres a screen print anyway...

cheshire%20police%20warning%20malware%20

This isn't a new thing, it's been going on for years and the golden rule is never click on any unsolicited emails even if they look genuine.

You can look at the email to see what it says but never click on any of the links or attachments. 

I managed to get caught out a few weeks back with an email ironically claimed to be from the police.

I'd just reported a theft from my car and then an email popped up five minuets later so without thinking I opened it and clicked on what I thought was an Adobe document link. :( 

Bill :)

That was good timing on the spammers part  Bill.

I fully understand what you mean about not opening or clicking on things but the police warning seems to infer that these can look like genuine emails from real organisations so how do we know if, for example, a Tesco  one is genuine or malware ?

I've only said Tesco as an example but you get the drift.......

surprising the amount of mail i get from the likes of tesco,curries/pc world and others.

I get a regular offer from pontins even though i have never had a holiday with them. The ony contact i ever had with them was to cancel a holiday for my father in law about ten  years or more back as he had taken ill three weeks before he was due to go on the holiday and they wanted a email address to send the confirmation to. never bother to open them just consign them to the bin along with the rest.

One thing i will never understand is the spam filter on live mail.It does not seem to be consistant in what it regards as spam. Some times it will put an email from a firm in the spam folder and the next time it will treat the same email as not spam.

Unless an email is from a particular person that i know such as a close friend then it does not get opened just previewed and binned.

Yep brilliant timing  :evil: 

The thing is that I'm ok with all this email scam stuff but there's millions out there that aren't and end up with with malicious code on their PC's that could lead to fraud and all the police can do is issue warnings about it.

If the most prevalent crime committed these days is cyber crime then there should be more done about it but inevitably the police just give up as soon as the address shows as being overseas. 

Bill :)

As always checked my email just had to laugh. four emails from carphone warehouse one of wich ended up in the spam folder. The other three in my inbox. must see what the criteria is for spam to go into the spam folder. Not that it bothers me much just curious as to why it is so incconsistant on what is and isn't spam. (and yes i do know it is also a canned meat product) :roll: :roll:

opening an email with modern email clients will not infect your computer... that was a issue years ago and unless you are one of the dinosaurs who still think windows XP and Windows 98 are the best things since sliced bread, just opening it will not be a problem. The problem lies when people click on the links inside an email. If you are unsure you can hover the mouse over any link and it will show you what the link actually is but if in doubt just delete it...

Oh, and update your operating systems and software too.... There is anti-virus software that will prevent a link from opening if it is deemed to be potentially harmful. The biggest problem is people who think they can continue to use 2005 antivirus software and out of date operating systems and then blame anything but their own stupidity when they get caught out.

Paid for antivirus software is not expensive and is updated multiple times a day and will protect you better than most if not all of the free stuff out there.... a few pounds a year or a complete rebuild of your system and the loss of vital stuff on your computer? the choice is plain.

And do regular backups. USB external drives are also cheap these days and often come with free backup software to protect your files.... in case of a viral infection or a hardware crash....

but will people listen?... of course they won't and will still continue to use XP and windows 7 until they get caught.... 

as my mate Eric used to say... "You can't teach bacon" 

I still use Windows 7 and nowt wrong with it.  I can't stand windows 8 and find it really annoying to navigate and use (other half has it on his laptop) so I have no intention of upgrading from 7 to 10 on my current computer.   I have paid for antivirus though and I don't click on links in any emails but the police warning mentions 'opening emails' not clicking links :( 

I still use Windows 7 and nowt wrong with it.  I can't stand windows 8 and find it really annoying to navigate and use (other half has it on his laptop) so I have no intention of upgrading from 7 to 10 on my current computer.   I have paid for antivirus though and I don't click on links in any emails but the police warning mentions 'opening emails' not clicking links :( 

and you wonder why 13 year old kids run rings around the police when it comes to cyber crime?

Seems there is an ATM scam in the region, with a tiny camera that clocks you putting in your pin  !  :huh:

They have been around for years Obs which is why people are always told to shield their pin entry.  Problem is they grots are putting the cameras in different positions now and they are a whole lot smaller so may be harder to spot any signs of meddling, they can also use fake keypads too amongst other things. 

What gets me though is surely most cash machines must have security camera's near them so how come the people fitting these devices aren't caught ?