Looking over your shoulder....

Davy51

First a directive that random checks will be made at airports to check that any electrical devices in hand luggage are fully charged & in working order.

Now ,within the week, laws will be implemented to allow the most stringent eaves dropping  on individual communications , e mail ,phones, texts & any social networking any individual is party to ,one of the reasons given being paedophilia ,but terrorism was also mentioned.

Are we in the first stages of an expected terror campaign or are the powers that be using that as an excuse to polish big brother's prying eye ?

They already had the snooping powers Davy only Europe put a spanner in the works by declaring the idea illegal and so they have rushed through emergency legislation to almost reinstate what Europe has deemed illegal

And this should worry me because?

As I have said many a time if they want to monitor what I get up to they are quite welcome. I have nothing that would either embarrass me or be of much intrest to terrorists or anyone else. Very rarely send emails and most of the ones |I recieve are either for cut price enhancement products or offers to save me a fortune on my insurance. Text messages to me run along the lines of what time will you be home and hows mum and we have £3759.50 waiting for you for the accident you have had.(my usual reply to that is hush thats tommorrow). Phone calls usually along the lines of where are we for bowls this week and what time or can you get me some bread from the shop on the way home. Social media will get them the the information that fred scuttle has just achieved level 88 on odd socks and that if i repost this image of buddah/fourleaf clover/lucky angel/ etc. in half an hour then I will have good luck or whatever in the next week, not to mention innumerable requests to play whatever game is flavour of the week.

About the only contentious info they may get is posts on here and anybody can read them without going to the extremes of hacking into my pc or phone or anything else.

The criteria for electrical devices, as I understand it, is they must be shown to be able to turn on and off. This applies at both ends of the flight. That they are in working order is neither here nor there. As long as they turn on and off that is all that is at the moment required. That they do what they are supposed to do is a bit more complicated as most of the people who have them could not tell you that. (just ask anybody who has tried to disconnect a call from their new smart phone). So unless they have a couple of tech guys who know about every type of electronic device likely to be carried by a member of the public they have no chance of the latter.

But the safety of air passengers must be foremost with our politicians, after all they might be on the plane.

edit addition :- point in case still have not managed to get the spell checker working on this site. works on all other sites just not this one.

• Upvote 1

So they have just refreshed the powers they already had ?  There was a comment on a news article a couple of days ago saying batteries could be removed from devices & substituted with explosive & that is why the checks are being made to see if said devices will turn on and off.

At least we can sleep soundly in our beds again.

All will be well.... until the crazies come up with a method of putting half a battery and half explosive into an IPhone.... turn it on, make a call and still go boom....

That's when the time will come to not allow any electronic items onto planes!