This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. algy

Apologies

Thanks Dizz, I hope to add more soon.
  3. Yesterday
  4. Dizzy

Apologies

I love seeing all your old photos too Algy, even those I have seen before. I will never get tired of seeing them 😀 It is a shame that many of your uploads on older topics have gone and been replaced with a photo bucket icon pic but on the plus side it will give you something to do during the cold and dark winter nights. I've not used my photo bucket account for probably over a year now. It used to e a great hosting platform but then kept bombarding me with adverts and other spam blah blah and I got sick to death of it. Looking forward to seeing more pics from you 😀
  5. Brilliant Sid 😂. My experience with London is similar, and I wouldn't want to go there "on holiday". I've been away from home as a holiday twice since I started work in 1967. Once to Scotland for a fortnight, and once to Florida for a fortnight. I don't get the attraction, but possibly that was because my job meant being away from home for months at a time.
  6. You're right Obs, it's a terrible world, but I think I've found the answer. I live out in the country about an hours drive to the closest town. If I play my golf every day, drink a few cocktails with the guys and have steak lunch in the grill, take a nap in the afternoon, never watch the news, never read a paper and only read the jokes on the forum, I wouldn't worry about a thing. Maybe all the stress about the state of the world is self imposed.
  7. Like business, Political Parties have and are amassing data on the electorate, in order to target propaganda at those who will definately vote for them. That why they couldn't care less about those who threaten not to vote again, as this just makes it easier for them to win. Politics is no longer about trying to convince voters of your argument, just about getting their vote out. This allows, in the case of Labour, for the Islington elite to pursue policies alien to the majority of their one time core supporters..
  8. If why i looked up holiday it is because i never seemed to find the time to have one. any time away from work usually involved me painting and decorating or some other job that needed doing around the house. If it why i don't count the honey moon it is because i never got one. not even a wet weekend in Wales. Married on a Saturday and back at work on the Monday. (Sunday spent recovering from the Saturday night bash) Your far more likely to involved in a car accident then find yourself in harms way of a terrorist attack in Turkey, Tunisia, Kenya, London isn't exactly the safest place in the world. I should be fine in any of those places then only ever been in one car crash in my whole life.( and of course "i'm British those sort of things don't affect me" ) Only ever been through London three or four times on my way to courses with work, each time it was shut.
  9. Confused52

Bus Company

The buses are expensive when looked at objectively. Those who travel long distances get a better deal than those taking shorter trips. This helps to get the average fare paid as high as possible sing the English National Concession Scheme reimbursement is a fixed percentage of the average single fare. The increases have been necessary because of the reduction in subsidy from the council and the council pushing down the level of concession fare reimbursement. The evening services that used to be numbers with an E at the end are the only subsidies paid by the council. The service to Ashton, the evening service to Wigan and the evening service to Leigh are subsidised by Greater Manchester. Gary is right that the company, i.e. Warrington Borough Transport (yes, it is) do appear to operate at a lower level of viability than their non-council owned competitors. However the reduced fares are only ever targeted at those areas with low car ownership. The problem mainly stems from the Council and their insistence on using the money they have only to benefit a small part of the population of the town, which does include the worst off. The bus company is doing the best it can with the reduced resources that the council has chosen to improve the lives of ordinary people whilst it spends larger amounts than the national average on those under 65 with social care needs. (If you think this is being negative check the facts, the figures are in the public domain)
  10. algy

Apologies

Thank's Davy, I hope so!.
  11. Do you mind me asking why? Your far more likely to involved in a car accident then find yourself in harms way of a terrorist attack in Turkey, Tunisia, Kenya, London isn't exactly the safest place in the world.
  12. Davy51

Apologies

Your photos were very memory jogging ,Algy ,& i think most people on here appreciated your efforts.
  13. We went to Croatia a few years after the war had finished & i must say the news reports on the war showed some very picturesque places which is what prompted us to give it a try.
  14. algy

Apologies

As the photo section doesn't seem very active nowadays I thought this may be a more appropriate section to issue an apology for most if not all of the images that I had posted in the past that have disappeared from posts on the 'Photo' Section, the reason is that I had closed my account on Photobucket, however I am gradually uploading them to my Flickr account and now downloading them from there. I'm only sorry that I had not done this before but I have only just discovered how to upload the photos from Flickr via the images URL. Algy.
  15. I had to look up the word HOLIDAY in the dictionary as i have only ever been on one holiday since i got married in 1978. And that was a wet weekend in Wales. ( i don't count the honeymoon.)🤫 It always amazes me that people do go and holiday in places where there is conflict or civil unrest. It is the English way i suppose and arrogance "oh nothing bad will happen to us were British it doesn't concern us".
  16. To paraphrase Sir Topham Hat the fat controller they are good at causing confusion and delay.🚂
  17. Clucas, this is the original Dog & Dart Inn which stood on the junction of Knutsford Road, Stockport Road and Chester Road, Grappenhall. Credit to Andrea Daniels for the black & white photo. The original Dog and Dart Inn, Grappenhall. c1925. The small single story building is the Toll keepers cottage.
  18. Last week
  19. Great photo Algy. The town centre always looks much busier with people on older photos. Always reminds me of my teenage years going into town every Saturday daytime with friends even if I had no money.
  20. And in the case of the South Warrington MP ...I watched an elderly lady walking back and too today (or was it yesterday) past our house quite a few times looking at door numbers and somewhat confused. She had a small pile of white envelopes in her hand. I'm guessing shes the one who hand delivered an personally addressed letter to our son through our letterbox which I found later on. Very nice of him and her but hang on WHERE are mine and Mr Dizzy's. We didn't get one and we actually live here ....our son doesn't live here any more and even their electoral register 'please check' form delivered months ago didn't have his name at our address anymore. I guess they must be just targeting the younger generation ?? Gawd if they can't even keep up with who's living where for voting and targeting purposes when it's on their own councils system there really is no hope for them doing anything
  21. Yep that just about sums it up nicely.
  22. The Warrington Transporter Bridge website has a 'Visit The Bridge' page telling you how to get to it from both routes Here's the link.... http://www.warringtontransporterbridge.co.uk/visit_the_bridge.html
  23. Yes you can get to it by down Slutchers Lane past RSPCA and further up to where the car park for Warrington Animal Welfare is. I've never been as it's not the sort of place I'd like to wander on my own as the one time I did try there was a chap living in a tent in the long grass and also the pathway through to the river and along to the bridge sometimes has nasty Giant Hogweed growing along it. I think the council usually put warning signs up though if it's there. (he hogweed I mean not the chap) I'm sure PJ posted a map on here showing the exact route to it through Crossfields site though.
  24. I've been in there a few times over the past months and they have some really nice food stuffs in there and things you don't tend to see in the likes of Asda, Morrisons, Tesco and other well knows shops. I like the way their shelf edge labels have the product in English too so you know what it is. I do wonder how they will survive though as I was the only person in the first time I went but second time there was another lady shopping in there too. Nice friendly staff though
  25. Dizzy

Bus Company

I've been on a couple of busses lately and I have to admit the new CAT busses to town are really nice and have little coat hooks, a pop out stand for balancing your mobile phone or table on, WIFI and even charging points. I didn't really have any use for any of those just going from Stockton Heath Village to the Town Centre though but I'm sure some people probably would lol. But I still think it's way to expensive to travel by bus hence me not using them more often....sorry (negativity strikes) Infact my return train ticket to Liverpool cost pretty much the same as my bus ride from SH to town and back. I could have parked my car opposite the station for the whole day for less than the bus too (oops more negativity) I will start using busses more though if they reduce the prices a bit from this neck of the woods like they have done for the other parts of Warrington... or when I get my bus pass.
  26. Sid, The answer to your question is that the EU Withdrawal (No2) Act 2019 requires the Prime Minister to write "... a letter in the form set out in the Schedule to this Act requesting an extension of that period to 11.00pm on 31 January 2020" He has no leeway. If the EU agree to extend to 31/1/2020 the Act requires that he immediately accept. If they offer a different date he must accept it within two days unless by the end of the period the house of commons have decide not to approve the date. Then there is the mistake: "Nothing in this section shall prevent the Prime Minister from agreeing to an extension of the period specified in Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union otherwise than in accordance with this section." . What that means is that the EU could offer a delay of just one hour and Boris could accept that without delay and the UK would leave the EU on 31st October with no deal. The reality though is that it is now the EU that is in control which is why Boris calls it the name that the lefties objected to.
  1. Load more activity