In your Garden - 26th - 27th January - RSPB - Big Bird Watch

Geoffrey Settle

It's that time of year again when the Big Bird watch takes place - it's something that can and does involve the whole family and is a vital source of data to find out what is happening to bird population and therfore the rest of the wildlife chain.

For further details http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/ .

Sometimes it take Bird a while to get used to your garden. So start putting some food out for them nuts etc outside a window where you can quietly sit and watch in the warmth :mrgreen:

Having said this I got none during my first year but after putting stuff out for them on a regular basis had a lot to count the following year. 

It will only take an hour of you time but make sure you plan and prepare. 8)

When we were in the UK we hung out a couple of bird feeders in our back garden and two or three times a day, same times every day, a flock of blue tits too numerous to count would come into the garden from Radley Common to feed then leave again. It was always a spectacular site everytime they visited Then for some reason or other, after quite a few months, they stopped coming in their hoards and we would be lucky to spot one or two in the garden.

One amusing occasion was watching two male robins squaring up to each other on the path, puffing out their red breast feathers at each other. On another occasion we had a hawk in the tree, an osprey I think it might have been.

We have lots of photos of birds and other wildlife taken in and around Radley Common on the WNCF Facebook site why not take a look - check out the albums. Why not post photos of Egyptian wildlife for us on the site.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Warrington-Nature-Conservation-Forum/110886079024465

We had an unusual visitor in our back garden last week, a cock pheasant, he flies in from the fields at Thelwall Grange and quite happily pecks at the seed that falls from the bird feeder, he also visited our neighbours gardens over the last few days, also a greater spotted woodpecker visits occasionally although i keep my hat on when he's around. :wink:

No Geoff, put it down to my age it's actually Thelwall Heys opposite Bellhouse lane, Grappenhall. God only knows why I said Thelwall Grange which as you say is a nursing home up Weaste Lane, where we resided for many years before moving, my good lady used to joke when we were younger that she had put my name down there and by the looks of it I shall be ready for the move any day now. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought as the bird count is due to begin. How the heck do you count birds and arrive at an accurate number? I mean one person may include some birds in their count but the birds are not going to stay in one place till the event is over. They could fly to someone elses garden/area several miles away and be counted again any number of times, depending on how many times the same birds are spotted.

After looking out the window at the blizzard that is currently blowing in about the only thing you would get in my back yard is penguins 8)

Did hear a commotion this morning about half seven and looked up in time to see about twenty or thirty crows/rooks/ravens flying overhead. (it was pretty dark and the thing about crows/rooks/ravens is they are well black)

Just a thought as the bird count is due to begin. How the heck do you count birds and arrive at an accurate number? I mean one person may include some birds in their count but the birds are not going to stay in one place till the event is over. They could fly to someone elses garden/area several miles away and be counted again any number of times, depending on how many times the same birds are spotted.

Hi Cleo - The Questions and Answers section of the RSPB site gives some answers and an insight to others -

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/faq.aspx  bottom line seems to be things even themselves out - it has always been done this way so like on like the results can be compared. There's probably some Stats bod that can explain in detail but I don't know where he is - probably got stuck in a snow drift. :oops: