Town Centre Shopping..... It is dead!!

Bazj

Had to go into town yesterday to get something and had to pay the usual car parking charges.... apart from Golden Square, the town centre was a lot quieter than I remember being on a Saturday.....

Then in the afternoon, I took my lad to the Trafford Centre to pay a trip to the Apple Store.... Every Carpark; with the exception of the one right up near junction 9 was full. The Trafford Centre was full to bursting and seeing as it was a reasonably sunny day, it wasn't because of the weather that everyone was "indoor" shopping....

Now there is no easy fix, but in survey after survey, the over-riding reason that most shoppers give for not shopping in town centres are the car park charges compared with out of town shopping centres. Maybe it is time for our town and its councillors to listen to the public and to take the lead and bite the bullet and scrap the charges to attract more shoppers to town instead of doing what they are doing in Lymm and Stockton Heath which is discouraging people from shopping there

If you want to regenerate Town Centres, you need to reverse a 20-30 year trend to "out of Town retail" - by taxing it, in order to reinvest in Town Centres, by reducing rates etc. Also, Town Centres need to be re-populated with high density residential dwellings to provide a critical mass of customer demand. :unsure:

I see that there are now less parking spaces for the disabled in town. The street along the side of Barclays is being pedestrianised, removing parking for about 15 cars. I can't see any reason for ot at all. Perhaps its the same demics who altered Bridge Foot. :roll:

Go to Tescos or the Trafford Centre.... hundreds of BMW, 4X4, Sports car disabled parking spaces there.... :D

• Upvote 1

I see that there are now less parking spaces for the disabled in town. The street along the side of Barclays is being pedestrianised, removing parking for about 15 cars. I can't see any reason for ot at all. Perhaps its the same demics who altered Bridge Foot. :roll:

It's perhaps one of Cllr:Dirir's pet projects along side 20mph zoning !! It will really compromise G4's luchre deliveries.