Photos from a Warringtonian!.

algy

Not photos of Warrington but photos by a Warringtonian while spending a few days in Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Herefordshire, three beautiful counties.

We came around a blind left hand bend to be confronted by the tail of this B747 'Jumbo' overhanging the road, turned out it was Kemble Airfield in Gloucestershire where numerous aircraft are being scrapped.

P1010015.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010016.jpg

The River Wye at Hampton Bishop near Hereford, behind where I took these photos is a nice pub called 'The Bunch of Carrots'.

P1010034.jpg

Not sure of the exact location, we had motored up a narrow lane and came out on the top of this hill overlooking Wiltshire.

P1010024.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010021.jpg

Lovely photo's Algy and it looks stunning around there.

I did wonder about the safety of having a boeing 747's tail overhanging the road though. Would hgv's fit under it :unsure:

OK maybe a stupid question but I don't know how high plane tails are from the ground as I've only ever seen them up in the air :oops:

Re the next to last one..... is that just someone's house or is it a gotel? The stripes in the lawn are very impressive.

Lovely photo's Algy and it looks stunning around there.

I did wonder about the safety of having a boeing 747's tail overhanging the road though. Would hgv's fit under it :unsure:

OK maybe a stupid question but I don't know how high plane tails are from the ground as I've only ever seen them up in the air :oops:

Re the next to last one..... is that just someone's house or is it a gotel? The stripes in the lawn are very impressive.

To be honest Dizz, I walked along and stood under the horizontal tail stabilizer fin and it just cleared the road, the tip being over the grass verge.

House or hotel, I have no idea as I took it on full zoom as it was a long way away.

Interesting information Asp!.

To be honest Dizz, I walked along and stood under the horizontal tail stabilizer fin and it just cleared the road, the tip being over the grass verge.

House or hotel, I have no idea as I took it on full zoom as it was a long way away.

Interesting information Asp!.

Just discovered it's called 'Kirby House' a 18th century (built 1733) country mansion.

In 1771 James Kirkby purchased an estate in Inkpen from Sir Thomas Frankland and Sarah his wife, and KIRBY HOUSE was built upon it. James died 5 September 1790, leaving the estate to his wife Sarah daughter of James Cunningham, but it was claimed by his brother William Comber Kirkby. Sarah filed a petition in the Court of Chancery, and was successful in her suit, and on 16 March 1792 sold the house and estate to Joseph Butler of Wantage. (fn. 108) The estate has since passed with the manor of Haslewick.

INKPEN Kirby House

SU 36 SE

15/35

II*

G.V.

Country House. C18 with C19 and C20 additions. Grey brick with red dressings

and red chamfered raised quoins; hipped tiled roofs. Double pile with later

addition to south east. 2 storeys and attic. North East block; early C18 with

moulded brick cornice at base of parapet and symmetrically-spaced stacks. South

West block; Late C18 with moulded timber eaves cornice, three cambered headed

dormers and flanking chimneys. North East Elevation: 5 glazing bar sashes with

cambered heads and exposed box frames, the central three in a slight break forward

of the facade which carries up to a raised parapet with pediment and central

semi-circular headed sash. Central door with semi-circular fanlight under curved

hood on cut brackets. North West Elevation: left hand block has three glazing

bar sashes with cambered heads above large square parapetted 2 window bay to left

and half glazed door in doorcase of composite fluted half columns under brackets

supporting curved pedimented hood, one narrow glazing bar sash to right of this.

Right hand block has three glazing bar sashes with cambered heads on upper floor

and one sash to left and blocked venetian window with raised brick dressings to

right. B.O.E. Berkshire, P.159. V.C.H. Vol.iv.P.200.

So there yerare! Diz, satisfied! :wink::D :grin: