1. Buttermarket St. & Adjacent Streets.

algy

Wainwright's butchers, Buttermarket Street.

The title of this photo states 1900, The dress of the two people suggest it is much earlier. perhap's 1871.

1900WainwrightsbutchersButtermarketStreet.jpg

1894. Walking Day Procession passing the Bridewell in Irlam Street (large building with steps, on the right).

1894WalkingDayProcessionpassingtheBridewell.jpg

1900. Looking down old Buttermarket Street, viewed from Horse Market Street.

1900LookingdownoldButtermarketStreet.jpg

1902. No.41 Buttermarket Street, Webbs tobacconist with the entrance to Wainwright's yard on the left.

1902WebbstobacconistwiththeentrancetoWainwrightsyardontheleft.jpg

1905. Jan28th Buttermarket Street. A poor quality picture, it does exude some atmosphere and gives that impression of movement though.

1905Jan28thButtermarketstreet.jpg

c1900. The landlord of the old Pelican Inn poses in his doorway. What a beautifully tiled frontage.

1900searlythelandlordofthePelicanInnposesinhisdoorway.jpg

1908. Buttermarket Street with Bank Street through the large arch on the left, the shop on the left of the arch is Edwin Allen's Art Supplies, still trading today .

1908LookingupButtermarketStreetwithBankStreetthroughthearchontheleft.jpg

1908. Former Wesleyan Chapel Upper Bank Street with pupils of the Ragged Sunday School. Highly unlikely that the parents of these children would have been able to afford a copy of this posed photo or even desired one!.

1908FormerWesleyanChapelUpperBankStreetwithpupilsoftheRaggedSundaySchool.jpg

c1910. Looking toward Scotland Road and Church Street. Both the Crown & Sceptre on the right and the Pelican Inn on the left have signs inviting you to "Phone From Here", just who would you phone?, While the 'Old Fox Inn' is attempting to get in on the act on the right.

1900sLookingtowardsScotlandRdChurchStreet.jpg

c1921.Buttermarket Street, earliest possible date of this photo as the Empire Theatre (later cinema), the white building on the left only opened in 1921.

1900sButtermarketStreet.jpg

I wonder if the Pelican and the Railway in Latchford were built at the same time?

Peter, I can't be precise but the Railway at Latchford was built about 1907, I have a photo dated 1910 and it looks new then, I have a photo of Buttermarket Street in 1928, the Empire Theatre/Cinema is there with the old Pelican inn next door, probably the new Pelican was built sometime in the 1930's.