1.Bridge Foot - Old photos.

algy

A sketch of Warrington's bridge over the River Mersey in 1746.

WarringtonBridge1746.jpg

Warrington, The Old Victoria Bridge the Packet House pub, second building from bottom left of the bridge.

WarringtonTheoldVictoriaBridgethePacketHousepubbottomleftofthebridge.jpg

Similar view to the previous photo but much later.

WarringtonVictoriaBridge.jpg

1906.The Victoria Bridge.

1906theVictoriaBridge.jpg

Steam packet passing under the Victoria bridge,

WarringtonBridgeSteampacket.jpg

Knutsford Road side of the brige, the new Cenotaph would eventually be built to the left of the building by the advertising hoarding. The entry to Fairclough's yard is immediately to the right of J Wilkinson's shop.

WarringtonBridgeFootKnutsfordRdtheCenotaphwouldbebuilttotheleftofthebuildingleft.jpg

Plenty of Activity over the old Victoria bridge, about 1900.

1900TheVictoriaBridge.jpg

Similar scene from the opposit side of the bridge.

1901Avarietyoftrafficontheoldbridge.jpg

1890. Dredging the river channel for shipping.

1890sWarringtonsVictoriaBridge.jpg

Dredging the river 10 years later, the building (shops) that appeared on the left (North) end of the bridge has disappeared, the nearest building to the river now is "The Packet house", buildings on the skyline have also altered.

1900DredgingdownstreamoftheVictoriaBridge.jpg

Where do you get all these photos from Algy? You must have a huge collection.

Collected them over the years from many sources, I've had quite a number given to me from other history group members on CD. I Have never counted them, probably somewhere in the region of 700, some I will not show on here is it may contravene the copyright law. When I started I always introduced the topic with this statement, but as I never received any complaints I haven't bothered for a while:-

Many of these photograph’s may be available

from the Warrington Museum/Library and will

be of far superior quality to those viewed here.

Anyone having any issue with the displaying

of these photographs due to copyright or

ownership infringement please contact me either by PM.

or through the Moderators and I shall

remove them immediately.

I think its great you share the pictures with us, as they are not just the normal stock old Warrington pics

It' a Pleasure, I'm doing slightly different this time and uploading them in area batches ie. Bridgefoot, Bridge Street etc, Sankey Street, Buttermarket Street, Padgate, Walton, Stockton Heath and so on, but not necessarily in alphabetical order, so there will be photos of interest for everyone, and could take a few weeks to work through them.

Many thanks, once again, for posting these. I also have a good few on cd, given to me by a local customer of the Ring O' Bells when we ran it. He also passed on to me lots of information on former landlords and former pubs of Warrington. I was astonished at how many there had been over the years!

I have always been reluctant to post the photos anywhere - as you say, someone may complain about copyright. Now, I presume you will have the same ones anyway.

Many thanks, once again, for posting these. I also have a good few on cd, given to me by a local customer of the Ring O' Bells when we ran it. He also passed on to me lots of information on former landlords and former pubs of Warrington. I was astonished at how many there had been over the years!

I have always been reluctant to post the photos anywhere - as you say, someone may complain about copyright. Now, I presume you will have the same ones anyway.

Possibly the same copy of the cd I was given although I already had a large number that had been passed on to me through my family which I scanned. good job I did as in one of our house moves they disappeared and to this day we never discovered what had happened to them!. Like you Dave I was very apprehensive about displaying the photos, but received welcome backing from Gary, also I have always said that if there were serious objections I would remove them plus I when I finish posting on a subject I usually leave the images on for about a month then delete them from Photobucket as my account becomes unmanageable.