Right to die?

observer

I really don't understand the logic behind this one. It isn't illegal to committ suicide and any able bodied person can do it without fear of repercussion. A coroner's enquirey will just return a verdict of suicide, often adding while the balance of mind was disturbed ( implying an inability to think for themself) and amen.

Now a physically disabled but sound of mind person makes known that he/she wishes to end their life and they are denied the opportunity to do so just because they require assistance. To hell with all that theory that a relative tired of having to care and tend to the disabled person might end their life and say it was the wish of the patient even if it wasn't. Providing their wish has been made known in the presence of reliable witnesses they should be permitted to end their life with assistance without any repercussion.

With me the ethics are perfectly straight forward, in this instance this gentleman should be given the opportunity to end his life if and when he feels it is right to do so, unfortunately he is not able to carry out the task himself and there lies the problem, he will be totally reliant on someone else to administer the lethal injection, drug or whatever, who is going to carry that out, as the law stands whoever that is will be open to prosecution!. :unsure:

With me the ethics are perfectly straight forward, in this instance this gentleman should be given the opportunity to end his life if and when he feels it is right to do so, unfortunately he is not able to carry out the task himself and there lies the problem, he will be totally reliant on someone else to administer the lethal injection, drug or whatever, who is going to carry that out, as the law stands whoever that is will be open to prosecution!. :unsure:

Amazing how we let people suffer, but not pets.

• Upvote 1

unfortunately he is not able to carry out the task himself and there lies the problem,

Correct alg, and I think that then comes under "complicity in suicide"

A person who aids, abets, counsels or procures the suicide of another, or attempt by another to commit suicide shall be liable