The Open University?

sadako

I want to do an open university degree in Natural Sciences. I was wondering if any other posters are currently studying or completed a course with OU. Any feedback would be great! I was also wondering whether these types of courses are less valued than other degrees from different universities due to the way that they are taught.

Notice I did say 'some' employers do, which means some employers don't and will depend on what the degree is in. I would imagine that Science based OU degrees would have nothing like the lab work or group interaction that a regular university has. although having fewer exam passes than Richard Branson, I am not speaking from experience. :unsure:

I understand that many employers view an Open University degree favourably because the (mature)student has had to fund it themselves and usually had to work whilst doing it, which demonstrates that they have a work ethic plus the enthusiasm and required organisation to pursue their chosen course.

I would encourage you to have a go, I have recently studied with the Home Learning College and found it very rewarding but I don't think they do anything around sciences, maybe worth a look at their website. There must be ways round the lab problem, perhaps any course provider would advise.

Good luck!

I spent most of the 1980's studying for a degree in Chemistry with Physics with the Open University. The cost can be an issue, but they do try to help as much as they can. Practical work, while obviously restricted compared to standard degree courses is extremely well planned and intensive. Most modules have week-long summer schools when you get to use a "normal" university's facilities and I made full use of Reading, Nottingham, Durham, Stirling and UMIST. How many graduates can say that?

The only problem I found with applying for jobs afterwards was my primary training is in Fine Arts and a lot of employers were unwilling to believe I could know enough about both! Now working in neuropsychology, so it all came in handy in the end.

Crikey, that's impressive Dave.

Do you do teh sinister magyck too? I only ask 'cos polymaths usually get the ducking stool around here.

Or worse.

Sadako - the OU is pretty well respected, don't think any other place offers that subject part-time, so not much choice.

Btw though, how many quals do you think you'll need before you feel like you've finished?

Sadako - I have to agree with that. I only started with OU as I realised I had had a brain at one time in my life, but was just "coasting". I had been in a top class in one of the country's top Grammar schools (Her Majesty's Conference) and my IQ had been assessed as around 160. I therefore decided to study something which had interested me, but about which I was really pretty ignorant. The OU was marvellous about this and the various tutors were superb.

Before anyone asks, I did take the MENSA tests, but decided it wasn't my sort of community.

Good for you RingoDave.

I want this degree as it interests me rather than for a career change, although it world be there if I ever needed it. There are a few modules that can be studied by themselves which is always another option.

Any opportunity for training at work I jump at the chance of more 'knowledge'. I could never understand why colleagues thought of this as a bad thing.

I think that some people are scared of 'Training' or see it as not necessary but I agree that learning is good at any age. I did a course in Payroll Management, I have the qualification, don't particularly want to work in that field, but I now have a much better understanding of how the process all works and how to work out my tax and National Insurance, so very useful!

I have a boss who says you should stick with what you do well, in other words, he does very little and gets stroppy when other people know more than he does, which is quite often!