At Latchford Locks (approx. 35 years between photos)

middlec

Definately looked better in the older pic and what a shame they knocked the tower down as it looks impressive next to the bridge.

Any idea when it was knocked down Middlec and I bet they wouldn't be allowed to knock it down now had it still been standing.

What is the large building infront of the tower ?

You wouldn't get me walking across the narrow lock walkway/bridge though. I did once and it freaked me out me and I've never been back since :oops:

Definately looked better in the older pic and what a shame they knocked the tower down as it looks impressive next to the bridge.

Any idea when it was knocked down Middlec and I bet they wouldn't be allowed to knock it down now had it still been standing.

You wouldn't get me walking across the narrow lock walkway/bridge though. I did once and it freaked me out me and I've never been back since :oops:

Not sure of the exact date Dizz, but the developers knocked it down to make way for an access road for the new apartments.

080211LockgatesatsmalllockLatchford.jpg

Dizzy: People still do cycle and walk over the small lock bridge, but have you seen the condition of what's underneath? The smaller lock is unused, and the gates are rotting away and falling apart. I agree with Algy regarding the water tower, but I have no idea what the large building was in front of it.

Goog grief Middlec... that last picture will give me nightmares :shock:

I wonder how on earth it is still intact as it looks rotten and in a very bad state especially with those stray bits of wood sticking out.

Considering it's age and the amount of use it's had and the amount of water which has flowed in an out of it though I guess that in understandable.

I don't know why it is but locks just scare me and after seeing that perhaps I'm not as daft as my other half thinks <_<:unsure:

Re: what you said Algy about the tower being knocked down for the access road to the new appartments.. shame eh?

Maybe they should have left it there as I bet someone with a bit of imagination would have loved to have converted it into a narrow but unique 4/5 storey well built apartment with character and style :wink:

Goog grief Middlec... that last picture will give me nightmares :shock:

I wonder how on earth it is still intact as it looks rotten and in a very bad state especially with those stray bits of wood sticking out.

Considering it's age and the amount of use it's had and the amount of water which has flowed in an out of it though I guess that in understandable.

I don't know why it is but locks just scare me and after seeing that perhaps I'm not as daft as my other half thinks <_<:unsure:

Re: what you said Algy about the tower being knocked down for the access road to the new appartments.. shame eh?

Maybe they should have left it there as I bet someone with a bit of imagination would have loved to have converted it into a narrow but unique 4/5 storey well built apartment with character and style :wink:

You see a few towers converted in Grand Designs and they do come up nice when finished.

It is a shame the tower went. I don't remember it but it looks good on the picture. :P