Mark Cavendish - Sports Personality

Geoffrey Settle

I started a thread in late September Worldwide link

suggesting that Mark would be in the BBC Sport's Personality list.

Great news he's there now :mrgreen: and also has just received his MBE - fantastic year for him, the Isle of Man and the GB Cycling team :mrgreen:

Who will you be voting for in the BBC competition and why aren't there any women in the list, what a disgrace :?::evil:

Check out Mark's web site and play the video you might be surprised with his favorite track - I wonder what the Rock God makes of his choice?

Cav's Web sIte

Geoff....

with comments like "Who will you be voting for in the BBC competition and why aren't there any women in the list, what a disgrace " you just sum up the typical view of a Labour politician.....

why not also be outraged at the fact that there are no disabled, blind or dead athletes in there too just to complete the set.

Maybe there aren't any women nominated because the panel didn't think there were any good enough to be nominated....or does everything have to be in line with the equality and race relations acts these days??

Geoff....

with comments like "Who will you be voting for in the BBC competition and why aren't there any women in the list, what a disgrace " you just sum up the typical view of a Labour politician.....

why not also be outraged at the fact that there are no disabled, blind or dead athletes in there too just to complete the set.

Maybe there aren't any women nominated because the panel didn't think there were any good enough to be nominated....or does everything have to be in line with the equality and race relations acts these days??

What utter rubbish Baz J

The main question of selection is for me Should we leave it up to Sports Journalsist to make the selection?

Having listened to a few people opinions on this I think that it would be a good idea to include a couple of SPORTS people.

As for your suggestion of politicians getting involved :angry: - leave it out mate that would be a disaster :unsure: - keep them as far away from the process as possible. Unless like Seb Coe they kno what they are talking about from experience.

So what you are saying Geoff is that even if the top 10 sports personalities in the country in a given year are all men; we should have a few women in there for good measure?

As I said, equality claptrap and done for the sake pleasing people who might feel "offended" if they are left out.

and as for

The main question of selection is for me Should we leave it up to Sports Journalsist to make the selection?

why not? They seem to have done OK for the past god knows how many years or would you say that Paula Radcliffe, Dame Kelly Holmes and Zara Phillips (who have all won it in the past 8 years apparently) are not worthy or female enough?

Oh, and I didn't mention politicians getting involved...not that I can see anyway! and as for Seb Coe.... a great runner, but a bit sort of in it to line his own pockets and bolster his own ego if you ask me Geoff.... but then he was a Tory MP too at one time!

So know one voting for anyone at all then - don't you like sport?

I won't vote cos this award has been utter drivel for a long time, but the Manxman should walk it if there is any justice, his achievements this year (on top of previous years) are phenomenal, but are the British public savvy enough to bypass the sentimental Darren Clarke vote? I doubt it.