Warrington - Schools cross country?

Geoffrey Settle

The last one I remember was a few years ago and I'm sure the runners went round Walton Gardens area. Possibly November/December sometime as I seem to remember it was cold and very late in the year.

Maybe you could ask the local schools or the council Geoff as they should know but then again as you are into running how come you don't know :unsure::wink:

Ahh but it's schools Cleo and some kids may be young(ish) so H&S probably wont allow them to run anywhere else and i guess they have to be supervised too.

The "Warrington Athletic Club Schools Cross Country League" was held in three stages last year Geoff in October, November and December. http://wassp.net/schools-cross-country

This years are (I THINK) as follows

Sat October 8th 2011 Warrington Cross Country League (Provisional Date) Walton Gardens

Thu October 20th 2011 Warrington Cross Country League (Provisional Date) Walton Gardens

Sat December 10th 2011 Warrington Cross Country League (Provisional Date) Walton Gardens

see here (Warrington Althletic Club) http://www.warringtonathletic.org/fixtures.php

...I wonder if any runners have so far read your post and whether I have spolied your topic now

Ahh but it's schools Cleo and some kids may be young(ish) so H&S probably wont allow them to run anywhere else and i guess they have to be supervised too.

The "Warrington Athletic Club Schools Cross Country League" was held in three stages last year Geoff in October, November and December. http://wassp.net/schools-cross-country

This years are (I THINK) as follows

Sat October 8th 2011 Warrington Cross Country League (Provisional Date) Walton Gardens

Thu October 20th 2011 Warrington Cross Country League (Provisional Date) Walton Gardens

Sat December 10th 2011 Warrington Cross Country League (Provisional Date) Walton Gardens

see here (Warrington Althletic Club) http://www.warringtonathletic.org/fixtures.php

...I wonder if any runners have so far read your post and whether I have spolied your topic now

thanks dizzy

No probs Geoff although I thought you were into running so you should have been able to find it or known :P Maybe that's not you running in your other pics at all and your tales are fibs are you actually a lazy bottom sitting loafer :lol:

Next time use google and a pc rather than a blackberry (or whatever phone you have now) and it comes up there right infront of your very eyes (sensible size) and not the tiny weeny mobile naff search way. Search criteria " Warrington Schools Cross Country"

PS I'm still waiting for your new pic on the other topic by the way if that really was you B):P

No probs Geoff although I thought you were into running so you should have been able to find it or known :P Maybe that's not you running in your other pics at all and your tales are fibs are you actually a lazy bottom sitting loafer :lol:

Next time use google and a pc rather than a blackberry (or whatever phone you have now) and it comes up there right infront of your very eyes (sensible size) and not the tiny weeny mobile naff search way. Search criteria " Warrington Schools Cross Country"

PS I'm still waiting for your new pic on the other topic by the way if that really was you B):P

I'm too fat for running now but trying to get back - I had a great run around Peel Hall Park yesterday and surrounding fields documenting stuff for PCSO's and WBC officers ect to investigate - so that was sort of Councillors cross-country run/walk. My wife dug out my Walshies out of the cupboard during one of her clear outs and threatened to throw them in the garage or bin :angry: !!(they are the best off road shoe :rolleyes: there is for fell running and made in Bolton).

So I have taken them for two runs this week :D .

BTW What PIC are you referring to please PM me so as not to change this threads theme?

Scarecrow .... but I have to ask, what sort of stuff did you document on your run around Peel Hall Park that need PCSO or WBC investigation :unsure:

You'll soon loose those extra pounds Geoff now you're running/walking and good on your wife for threatening to throw your shoes out :lol: Not a good time to start again though as we'll no doubt have snow and ice in a few months time and we know show unsteady you are on slippery surfaces.

It must be nice running but it's something I have never been able to do (well I could when I was a young kid obviously).

:shock: Self explanatory really. Cross country racing is racing across country side (hence cross country) not around a park.

Hmmmm well that means that all the Liverpool and District and the Cheshire League and possibly every other cross-country race in the uk and perhaps the world would not take place if we followed your definition - but we don't and we survive nicely. I can only remember running one race under your definition and that was as a veteran races when I turned 40 and ran somewhere in Rochdale or Burnley and again in the Ron Hill Tour of Tameside near Ashton under Lyne - but all the others in parks like Clarke Gardens, Townley Park, the one in Frodsham, I even ran in the park that you saw may have seen on TV last weekend it was alongside start of the Great North...they are all run in parks... simply because there are changing facilities... not many runners like washing in a stream as they used to in the olden days. :wink:

Cleopatra, they are pampered and soft these days. :wink:

Given they take place in deep icy mud and snow, especailly the National where it often get as high as you knees as thousands of runners churn up farmers fields I don't think that is bad especially if technically you can design the appropriate course.

If you look at pictures of the great Warrington athlete, Chris Vose who captained the Olympic Team when it was an event in the Olympic it looks like a park that he is running in - they even built hurdles for the event.

Wouldn't it be great to commenmorate his name in a cross-country event next year?

Hmmmm well that means that all the Liverpool and District and the Cheshire League and possibly every other cross-country race in the uk and perhaps the world would not take place if we followed your definition - but we don't and we survive nicely. I can only remember running one race under your definition and that was as a veteran races when I turned 40 and ran somewhere in Rochdale or Burnley and again in the Ron Hill Tour of Tameside near Ashton under Lyne - but all the others in parks like Clarke Gardens, Townley Park, the one in Frodsham, I even ran in the park that you saw may have seen on TV last weekend it was alongside start of the Great North...they are all run in parks... simply because there are changing facilities... not many runners like washing in a stream as they used to in the olden days. :wink:

Not just my definition, Geoffrey, here's just two definitions of many, taken from dictionaries.

1)

Moving or directed across open country rather than following tracks, roads, or runs: a cross-country race

2)cross country

The most difficult sport of all. There are no timeouts, substitutions, halftimes, or other breaks. Because of this, the sport requires extreme amounts of stamina and talent to play, and to be successful, it requires even more effort. Cross country consists of long races (minimum 5k or 3.1 miles) over varied terrains, including hills, roads, mud puddles, grassy fields, rocky paths, and sometimes even shallow streams. To complete the race, the runners must not only have the strength to finish, but must also be aware of their surroundings at all times. Stop paying attention to your surroundings, and you could fall, costing you valuable seconds, knocking you out of the race, or even sending you to the hospital. Cross country is not to be confused with indoor/outdoor track. Although they have long-distance events, their longest usually is 5k, cross country's shortest. Also, they have no hills or other obstacles; they just run around a track many times.

Cleo - Keep to your books and definitions that's for swats - go down to Victoria Park and train with Warrington Athletic Club (or any other in the area) over the next few months and compete in the forthcoming X-country season.

Then come back on here and post next again next year after you have experienced how hard it can be to complete at in parks.

They are great and have all sorts of terrain, mud, streams, hills, styles, fences etc. They can be as challenging as the course director makes them, reading a dictionary from an armchair or wikipedia is not. :mrgreen:

Cleo,

Does it really matter where the kids run on their cross country as long as they are enjoying themselves though. Even running around a park requires a level of stamina, a degree of talent (although they are only kids so who cares), and I'm sure they all want to be successful.

Team spirit, individual spirit, rain and puddles, sun and flowers, flat terrain or hills none of it matters as long as they enjoy it.

Far better to be running around a park than a track though but hey even track running is fun IF you can do it (so I am told :oops: )

I can't do either infact I'd probably struggle to ride a push bike around either of them :oops:

You haven't looked very far then have you on a wet and windy autumn/winteted day and viewed the course in a young person eyes - hill maybe not but the embankments are a challnege and a mini hill at the Bear end can be a challenge ater you've run through the waterlogged field by the river - it get very wet there and someone suggested and with reason that they would like to turn in into a wetted area to attract more wildlife given the water table is so high and on occasions the park flood.

Now if we move on to Walton Hall then there is a serious hill for youngsters that could be incorporated with streams to cross, Clarke Gardens is perhaps the best park along with the course at Runcorn by the Tower that face Warrington Athletes and have both. The latter incorporates the back of the Ski Slope. Spectum Striders use Forest Park where there are the numinition hills - great place for a training hill session. The bset and muddiest that I rane was the National at Milton Keynes the mud was knee deep I fell flat on my face and my old club mate Ron Hill (from my Clayton le Moor Harriers days in Burnley) skipped by - I think I just got him on the line though. :wink:

So there are plenty of tough courses and if you really want a very hiily one near here then you only have to go to a Park by the M58 which has masses of hills in it, so many that you dread the next one and that is in a PARK with streams.

Spectrums course

You haven't looked very far then have you on a wet and windy autumn/winteted day and viewed the course in a young person eyes - hill maybe not but the embankments are a challnege and a mini hill at the Bear end can be a challenge ater you've run through the waterlogged field by the river - it get very wet there and someone suggested and with reason that they would like to turn in into a wetted area to attract more wildlife given the water table is so high and on occasions the park flood.

Now if we move on to Walton Hall then there is a serious hill for youngsters that could be incorporated with streams to cross, Clarke Gardens is perhaps the best park along with the course at Runcorn by the Tower that face Warrington Athletes and have both. The latter incorporates the back of the Ski Slope.

Spectum Striders use Forest Park where there are the numinition hills - great place for a training hill session. Spectrums course

The best and muddiest that I rane was the National at Milton Keynes the mud was knee deep I fell flat on my face and my old club mate Ron Hill (from my Clayton le Moor Harriers days in Burnley) skipped by - I think I just got him on the line though. :wink:

So there are plenty of tough courses and if you really want a very hiily one near here then you only have to go to a Park by the M58 which has masses of hills in it, so many that you dread the next one and that is in a PARK with streams.

Geoff, the only hills this side of town are Lumbrook Rd, around the Dingle,Bridge Lane and London Rd.

As you were talking about Vicky Park, anywhere else has nothing to do with it.

As a thirteen year old and living in the country, I used to tun for miles in wooded hills that were steeper than Bridge Lane on my own. Anyone can run on the flat if they have the stamina.