Warrington - Schools cross country?

Geoffrey Settle

I was and Cleo expanded to include a random definition of cross counrty that X-country runners would not nescessarily agree. Then there is the cumulative elevation ratio to age and weather to consider whern it very much becomes a factor.

Lets face it X-cross country for Townies is perfectly adequately accomodated in parks especially in Victoria Park in and around the fields surrounding the home track of Warrington Athletic Club and the outer reaches of Black Bear. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if I have verified anything really as when we ran through the Dingle we didn't just run on the grass. We ran up the hills at the side, through the trees and bushes and best bit ... along and through the winding stream too.

We occasionally swung across the stream using the rope swing from the high hill too if the teacher wasn't looking :wink:

Like Harry would say... 'Happy Days' :D

It's all about having fun though I agree.

I'm not sure if I have verified anything really as when we ran through the Dingle we didn't just run on the grass. We ran up the hills at the side, through the trees and bushes and best bit ... along and through the winding stream too.

We occasionally swung across the stream using the rope swing from the high hill too if the teacher wasn't looking :wink:

Like Harry would say... 'Happy Days' :D

It's all about having fun though I agree.

Now that IS cross country racing! :wink:

Now that IS cross country racing! :wink:

NO,

Just for you I've found my fell shoes that Mrs S tries to hide and gone out in this lovely warm weather. I set off to my local Golf Course. :mrgreen: Don't worry a definitive footpath crosses alongside Spittle Brook - I then ran the path alongside the M6 which is nice and muddy up a steep 3 flight of steps to give me a hill and then came back via a couple of woodland Trust woods but unfortunatley the stream that I was going to run through was dry. That for me was agreat little x-country run - ok I did do a bit of fartlek of the scandiavian type.

So thanks Cleo and Dizzy for the inspiration. :mrgreen:

Real Cross Country used to include ploughed fields and County, Area and National champs for seniors were over 9 miles (often 3 laps of 3 miles). Courses shortened and made softer some 40 years ago and females introduced to the sport. I am not suggesting that the changes had anything to do with the capabilities of girls and ladies - far from it - last weekend in Llandudno a lady achieved arguably the greatest female pedestrian acievement of all time when winning a 24 hours International Ultra Running event, covering a world record 173 miles, averaging over 6 miles an hour and beating all male competitors in the race. Try running a mile in 9.5 minutes and then think about continuing to do that for 24 hours.

Welcome back Pedro - have you been away on one of your Olympic Tours and just got back a bit late? Great for a professional critique. 8)

What do you think of the idea for a 2012 Chris Vose Olympic Cross-country event, I've emailed WAC with the idea?

I could redo the merchandise from the Chris Vose 10km back in 1991 and adapt it to a cross country scene from the X-counrty race that I found in the Lausaunne Museum.

HPIM2654.jpg

That sort of reminds me of the caravan and camping cup we got once but not as nice as the free cups which come with easter eggs.

Geoff... would people also be getting one of your Market Research findings leaflets for 'Leaks Gone' too and were they part of the 1991 merchandise range :wink: