Photos of old Penketh & Sankey pubs

algy

Many of these photograph?s may be available

from the Warrington Museum/Library and will

be of far superior quality to those viewed here.

Anyone having any issue with the displaying

of these photographs due to copyright or

ownership infringement please contact me either by PM.

or through the Moderators and I shall

remove them immediately.

PenkeththeChapelHouse.jpg

The Chapel House.

PenkeththeCrownCushion.jpg

The Crown & Cushion.

PenkeththeRedLion.jpg

The Red Lion

PenkeththeSportsmansArms.jpg

The Sportsmans Arms.

TheFiddlersFerryInn.jpg

Fiddler's Ferry Inn.

DID YOU KNOW THAT -

The pubs in Stockton Heath.

The original name of the "Mulberry Tree" was "The Grapes"

The original name of the " Red Lion" was the "Lion & the Lamb".

There was a pub in the village called "The Spade Makers Arms".

In 1826 the "London Bridge Inn" was called "The Coach & Horses".

You learn something new every day Algy, or so they say. If the good folk of Stockton Heath were a little more common and dropped their aitches like me it would be Stockton Eat. A far more suitable name given recent developments. :wink::wink:

PJ, as a lad from the age of eleven to getting married I lived in a works rented house in Baronet Road Lower Walton or Walton Inferior (how's that for a name to let the serfs know what their station in life was) and to us youngsters the village was always known as "stocking feet" :wink:

PJ, as a lad from the age of eleven to getting married I lived in a works rented house in Baronet Road Lower Walton or Walton Inferior (how's that for a name to let the serfs know what their station in life was) and to us youngsters the village was always known as "stocking feet" :wink:

Stocking feet to us too Algy :lol:

We used to say 'Stocking Feet 'too from being kids as we lived here but then it got shortened to 'Stocky Feet' and we still all say it round here (well not the posh ones obviously).

As for the 'h' being dtopped PJ... nice one and oh so true.

Or maybe "Stop'n Eat" (you sort of have to say it fast to understand but I think it still sounds like 'Stockton' Heath :wink:

See what you have both done now :lol:

anyway back to Algys pubs....

DID YOU KNOW THAT -

The pubs in Stockton Heath.

The original name of the "Mulberry Tree" was "The Grapes"

The original name of the " Red Lion" was the "Lion & the Lamb".

There was a pub in the village called "The Spade Makers Arms".

In 1826 the "London Bridge Inn" was called "The Coach & Horses".

I knew about the The Mulberry Tree. The current day Mull building stands on the site of the old The Grapes pub which was built in 1725.

Didn't know about the Red Lion or London Bridge though. Are the current buildings the same ones as the previous named buildings or are they new like the Mull too ? (did that make sense)

Where abouts was the Spade Makers Arms? Presume it must have been there sometime between the two forges opening in the village.

Fascinating.

In your bottom photo of the Fiddlers Ferry Inn... is that what is now known as the Ferry Tavern which is on the bank of the mersey ?

I'm going to have a do at replicating a few of these, but the processing may take some working out to get just right. Could be the first time I complain that my gear is too good :D

If I manage any decent efforts I'll post them up.

Algy, thanks for the inspiration.

Rules... there are no rules in photography (well not my way anyway) :oops::lol:

Live dangerously PJ.... you may be surprised at your hidden drunken tallents and you'll always have an excuse if it all goes wrong or people don't like it... "twas the beer you know" :wink:

Rules... there are no rules in photography (well not my way anyway) :oops::lol:

Live dangerously PJ.... you may be surprised at your hidden drunken tallents and you'll always have an excuse if it all goes wrong or people don't like it... "twas the beer you know" :wink:

Think I've overused that one down the years Dizzy. :D

The Spademakers Arms was about where the Halifax office is just before Church Cottages.

The Red Lion is original not sure about the London bridge, perhaps some of the walls are but I should think it has been added to over the years.

Yes! the Fiddlers Ferry Inn is the same building.

Dizz, unless the Halifax has moved, it is still located lower down than the Post Office on the left of London Road (going down the village) behind the bus stop, sorry I can't be precise regarding the exact location of the "Spademakers Arms" I don't think there will be any photos of the building as it was probably before 1825/6.

Sorry about Miss pelling in my last reply.

SpademakersArms.jpg