The Hawthorn Centre

Agamemnon1

I see that repair work is progressing, all be it slowly :(

I hear on the grapevine that there are still problems concerning the future use of the centre :confused:

Its time that such a valuable facility was put to good use for the community, Who ever is causing problems should be ashamed of themselves :x

[ 10.04.2008, 08:37: Message edited by: dangleberry ]

They are a cheap alternative to Police Officers.. As to whether or not I understand their role I understand only too well Geoff. They are there to make it look as though there are more "Police enforcement Officers" on the streets. They have no powers of arrest and limited other powers. Perhaps you should research it more yourself.

Perhaps you should research them, then ask why there aren't more Police on the streets. If you are happy with people walking the steeets in pseudo Police uniforms with no powers to enforce anything, then you are very very easily pleased.

but then again maybe you are just gullible and will believe any old tosh that you are told by people in authority.

[ 12.04.2008, 12:59: Message edited by: Gunga Din ]

Well I for one think the Derk Lockie is doing an excellent job I my neck of the woods and his team are very supportive, high profile and are getting convictions. I talk to all of them so my information is out there on the street where I meet them almost on a daily basis, why don't you give it a try sometime as you must be walking around with your eye closed.

PCSO's can't get convictions as they have no powers of arrest. They can detain for up to 30 minutes but that isn't the same in law as being under arrest.

There is no career progression for PCSOs unlike a serving Police Officer, and that is why they are cheaper. you have fallen for the government scam on the public.

Originally posted by Gunga Din:

They are a cheap alternative to Police Officers..

They may well be cheaper than a Police officer, but there is no doubt they are not an alternative. Get rid of the PCSO's and the alternative is to have no one patrolling the streets. :o

I too was a cynic of the PCSO when first introduced but talking to people on the streets they do seem to make a positive difference.

I have friends who live in Sandiway in Cheshire and apparantly the residents are so pleased with the efforts of their PCSO in helping to reduce crime and anti social behaviour, that many have written to the chief constable in appreciation of the PCSO's efforts. :bow:

Well said Wolfie. Gunga have you met the PCSOs in Birchwood yet, go and have a chat with them drop them an email and arrange a meeting warrington.east.cat@cheshire.pnn.police.uk

let them tell you about what they get up to.

Their role isn't the same as the Police they are there to work in the community at a local level, their role is evolving over time, they do gather intelligence that lead to arrests.

Gunga, by definition they may well be seen as an alternative.

In practice they are not. As I stated previously if you were to get rid of them they would not be replaced by what you call 'the alternative', and that is mainly because they provide a totally different role to that of the Police Officer.

It's not often that I support Geoff's views :o but I would advise getting out there and having a chat with some PCSO's and find out what a difference they can make.

[ 12.04.2008, 15:08: Message edited by: wolfie ]

Try this link PCSO Steve Dodd it shows what he's been doing in Glazebury, he's been advising me about traffic issues, called around at my place the other week to collect some evidence and he's also been doing a couple of speed checks on Cinnamon Brow roads. He also featured in Gary's Culcheth Life about security on the buse. I'm sure he'll sort you out.

[ 12.04.2008, 17:20: Message edited by: Watercolour ]

One PCSO covers Glazebury to Cinnamon Brow? No wonder I have never seen one around here. Not that I have any great confidence in them. It isn't the fault of PCSOs but they were invented to con the public that there were more "law enforcement officers" on the streets.

I know a lot of PCSOs are in their job to gain experience of Police work before applying to their local Constabulary, however they then have to take a drop in salary... There is something not quite right about that.. PCSOs are paid more than entry level Police Constables who have far more training, are warranted and have true law enforcement powers.. hmmm.

There is only one force which starts their PCSOs on a salary greater than a newbie PC; Herts. There are only 3 forces whose maximum PCSO salary is greater than a newbie PC; Kent, Suffolk & the Met (who also have extra allowances for their PCSOs). So the assertion that PCSOs get paid more than new PCs, whilst it is correct in a small minority of cases, is misleading. Also, PCs have a salary structure which increases every year up to ?35,000. PCSOs don?t have such a structure, indeed, some forces Cheshire included have frozen the salaries of their PCSOs and will remain frozen for several years.