The Hawthorn Centre

Agamemnon1

THE ROLE

Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) provide a visible presence in the community, helping the police to tackle anti-social behaviour and offering reassurance to the public.

Become a PCSO and you will act as the eyes and ears on the streets. The job is a fully paid role and work hours in many cases can be flexible. You will be in uniform and under the direction of a police Commander responding to crime and disorder issues. Here are just some of the issues you may deal with in your work:

support for the police in increasing public safety;

contributing to the regeneration of local communities;

dealing with truants, graffiti, abandoned vehicles, litter, missing persons enquiries;

helping to support victims;

assisting with house to house enquiries;

involvement in patrolling major public events and ceremonials;

helping to control crowds;

protecting the public from security threats;

ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITY

Depending on your role, you may also be given police powers, including:

the power to detain someone pending the arrival of a constable;

the power to direct traffic and remove vehicles;

the power to issue fixed penalty notices in relation to a range of anti-social behaviours;

PCSOs are becoming an increasingly important part of the police ?family? and their role is an interesting and evolving one.

The post of PCSO is sometimes used as a stepping-stone into other police staff careers, or can lead to tutoring new PCSOs. It is a good starting point for those wishing to become police officers.

Taken from web page

Maybe but surely the point that I am discussing is that they are affective given the cut and paste that I have done.

They are:

. appreciated by the community,

. providing information that is leading to convictions;

. providing reassurance;

. vissible, especially in their flourescent jacket and on their bikes ano/or feet;

. know by local people by their first names;

. willing to come out and advise, help etc;

. they are keeping a close eye on the known low-life criminals

I'm sure that I read a press release

CRIME has fallen in Warrington East by 13 per cent in the past year, and anti-social behaviour has fallen by 25 per cent.

The figures, released by Warrington East's Neighbourhood Police Team, show that the rates are falling faster in the district than elsewhere in Warrington, Widnes and Runcorn.

You can report crime by sending an e-mail to warrington.east.npu@cheshire.pnn.police.uk or by calling 0845 458 6390.

But then you'd think I'd make something like that up wouldn't you.

[ 13.04.2008, 07:45: Message edited by: Watercolour ]

You know apart from the hi-viz jackets its almost like neighbourhood watch...

There can never be a substitute for warranted Police Officers for tackling crime.

As for the crime figures falling.. Well it doesnt specify what types of crime the report is talking about, and of course that can only refer to reported crime, which allows the massaging of figures.