Prisons for profit?

observer

Seems the privatisation of our prisons (started under Labour btw) has upset Prison Officers to the point of striking. Whilst I can imagine that a "private" prison with medievil regime (bread and water etc) could work out cheaper - the problem is, would it be allowed by the Inspectorate and the HR lobby? So assuming current holiday camp standards are retained, one would imagine that a cut in the wages bill and staff conditions would provide the profit margin, which could mean importing our prison Officers from E/Europe - which may work out OK, as they could then speak the same language as 25% or so of the inmates! :lol:

I understand many of our prisons are already run by private companies so presumably it works, at least as well as the non-private system.

I saw the TV news item last night and they did look a grim bunch outside the prison, plus they were being talked at by a union official who spoke 'the book' at them, rather than anything from the heart. Predictable!

One way would be to make them into call centres could be cheaper but it would put all those call centres in India out of business :shock::shock::?

I can imagine it now.

"good morning sir my name is John tax dodger Atkins and I am calling today to ask you a few questions about your finances. Have you had a loan that you were mis-sold payment protection on. If so give me the details and for a modest percentage of any money recovered I will contact a few of the lads to go and sort it out for you" :shock::shock::lol::lol:

IMO prisons should always be owned by the state, for the state. I believe Serco will not get a penny until reoffending rates drop, so the temptation to save money is there, but since the private sector is always run for profit, I believe it will cost more in the long run.

Bring back bread and water for the basic prisoner, a more substantial meal for the workers. :wink:

Just how does anyone reduce reoffending rates? With institutionalised prisoners, they can't wait to get back inside; career criminals can't resist the attraction of big bucks and consignment to unemployment provides the rest with an incentive to crime - so it will be interesting to see just how they do. :shock: