Third World Britain?

observer

According to some senile RC Cardinal, Britain is suffering from "aggressive aethism" - if only. With the Authorities falling over backwards to accomodate every mystical religious grouping, bringing up kids conditioned and segregated by fairy stories, it would seem rational secularism is in retreat. :?

Third world Britain?, he may have a point?, the only difference between some areas of the UK and impoverished ghettos of poorer nations is that some people have the luxury of a financial/benefits system safety net and when you are poor the only thing left to hold on to is ones own faith what ever that may be.

Going off topic a little (for you older viewers?) does the Pope look like Kenneth Kendal the once famed news reader of the BBC?

We have no clue what it is like to actually live in a third world country. Well some may do, cause they remember the war. But really we should be grateful for what we have like running water, indoor plumbing, a vehicle to get us where we want to go, etc...

I agree Mary, BUT it doesn't make sense to squander and misuse what we have. We are only here for a short time and should appreciate our "home" NOT destroy it.

I think we're something like the 6th largest econonomy in the world, problem is the benefits of such an economic position are unfairly distributed, with a wealth gap that has grown throughout the Bliarite years. Aside from this, we are still (during a so-called period of austerity), throwing money away in overseas aid, and on providing succour to every economic migrant that can hang onto the underside of a lorry. :twisted:

Talking about the misuse of the benefits system, I thought what monies people got in the way of jobseekers allowance and family credit etc, was means tested and you must be fit and ready for work.

I mention this because there was a news article where some people who are unemployed were taking and being high on drugs and using the benefits system to fund their habit.

I thought if you make yourself deliberately unemployable or not fit for work because you are high most of the time, you have all your benefits stopped?

As I have never taken drugs, ecstasy, cocaine etc, I can not say that you can be in a fit state work to a satisfactory standard? :?