Stockton Heath Forge machinery

Victor

It is reported today that the Stockton Heath Alternative Residents Committee are still looking for a site to place the historic forge machinery which was allowed, by councillors, to be removed from its original site in the forge. There should be no need for this group to be trying to find a suitable site, the machinery should be put back where its presence means something...IN THE FORGE SHOPPING AREA!!! The place where it stood for so long now has a massive sign post, presently blank but I assume that the names of the shops in the centre will be displayed. Typical of our councillors and planners to consider this more important than our hisory.

Obviously there is still a lot of importance associated with the historical side of the 'The Forge' and it's workings being in Stockton Heath etc.... anyone knows that. Even the newly refurbished village shopping centre has some very large new signs on either end of it's canpoy walkway saying 'The Forge' !!! (It's even mentioned on line in America and far far away)

See what you mean about the London Road big extra sign you mention though. It actually block the main sign that says the forge.

What's the big one all about then? What will they put on it other than All that Jazz, All that Jazz, All that Jazz, Broadbents, Optician, Sommerfield and Cafe ... which everyone will easily find anyway without the sign.... cant see why it's needed at all. Are more signs to be put up directing people to all the other obvious shops in the village too :D:D [/b]

[ 12.12.2007, 22:16: Message edited by: Dismayed ]

The shove press and roller belong at the 'Forge' Who is the owner of the shopping centre now?. Is there some great reason that they cannot now be replaced? Every one knows that it was wrong for them to be taken away so why cant all side's stop this point scoring and put the dam things back where they belong and the council put a grade 2 listing on them so that we dont have this stupid stand off anymore. I can see this becoming a main item on the election voting party next year.

The Forge Shopping Precinct is owned by JBZ / JZB ??

Think the old machinery which stood for many years on the site was classed as 'being in the way' of the new design of the shopping area :D Easy eh ?

No point in putting them anywhere else other than Stockton Heath as the relevance will be lost... might as well just sell them for scrap and pocket the thousands of ???'s that they are worth in weight value.... oops was that the plan :wink:

They also have a great historic value, the Stockton Heath sovel was designed and made there with one of those machines. There was also the Warrington Hammer, Billhook. There was a book the history of Stockton Heath forge which was very informative.

I presume when they were given they became the property of the land owners as such they could do what they wanted, maybe the parish council should have put forward a case for getting them listed as historic items and all this would not have happened. Foresight is a wonderful thing or was it hindsight!!!

Originally posted by little fella:

They also have a great historic value, the Stockton Heath sovel was designed and made there with one of those machines. There was also the Warrington Hammer, Billhook. There was a book the history of Stockton Heath forge which was very informative.

I presume when they were given they became the property of the land owners as such they could do what they wanted, maybe the parish council should have put forward a case for getting them listed as historic items and all this would not have happened. Foresight is a wonderful thing or was it hindsight!!!

Hiya Little Fella

Interesting post thanks. Never heard of the billhook before and any idea where I can get a copy of the book you mention ?

As for the machinery becoming the property of the landowners, it wasn't. It was on very permenant loan, so to speak, and was placed under the safekeeping of the local Parish Council.

I agree with you 100% that the parish bods should have put a listing status on it especially as

They were a monumental reminder of Stockton Heath's past.

The old ?Caldwells Stockton Heath Forge? was on the current site of Stockton Heath?s Forge shopping precinct. When it opened in 1770 Calldwells gave the two pieces as a permenant reminder of Stockton Heath's past.

Calldwell's relocated but still continues to trade and make tools in Warrington.

The piece of machinery that was scrapped was one of the old ones that had been used to produce the spades/shovels and hand tools used by?.

The soldiers digging the trenches in the Battle of the Somme. During world war 1 army officers insisted on Stockton Heath Forge?s shovels to dig the trences and that is what they got.

The spades and hand tools were also ordered and used to dig the Bridgewater Canal (as directly instructed by the Duke of Bridgewater).

They were also used to dig the Manchester Ship Canal.

They were used to dig the Panama Canal.

amongst other things...........

They also have wordwide recognition... and all came from a forge in little old Stockton Heath Village.... Impressive eh ? Or not depending on who you are :wink::roll:

Maybe once they have been repaired (after the heavy handed scrapping process :roll: ) they can be re-instated and protected.

Originally posted by theinsider:

Wouldn't it be better to scrap the junk metal and use the funds for something useful in the village?

:roll:

Ok so sell the machinery for scrap and use the money to buy something useful for the village. What do you suggest ?

Sick Bins ?

more Litter Bins ?

Chewing Gum Remover ?

Graffitti Remover ?

More parking officials ?

Wheel Clamps ?

Extra Police ?

or would you like it to go towards the provision of some TOILETS !!??!!??

... shall I continue ??

[ 19.12.2007, 19:32: Message edited by: Dismayed ]

Dismayed, I would try Stockton Heath library for that book, The one I was lent about (20 ~25 years ago) was one of these short run local history booklets with a blue soft card cover called something like 'the forge of Stockton Heath' or 'stockton Heath forge' I cannot remember the guy who lent it to me and I wish I had copied it. I understood that he worked at the forge as a lad, I was doing some research into London road at the time, It wasnt what I wanted so I returned it.

You could also try the Cauldwell family, I think that they still live in Thelwall.

Thanks Little Fella... I'll try the library for the book :D

Mr Caldwell Snr went to the Parish Council meeting after the second machine was found by the SHARC's in a scrap yard and shamed the PC into giving half the money to the them to buy the machine back before the scrap yard exported it for it's scrap value. Nice one Mr C :D