Posters

vic

"I let 80,000 prisoners out early - vote for me"

http://www.general-election-2010.co.uk/politics/topic/conservative-campaign-poster-gordon-brown-on-prisons

Apart from having 80,000 extra voters who might support the party that let them out early, what are the Tories trying to say with this?

That (in a time of deficits - and reduced crime) they'd build lots more prisons? (Where? In Warrington perhaps? In marginal constituencies?)

http://www.justice.gov.uk/story-prison-population.pdf

This shows that sentences are longer anyway, so early release has to be seen in that context. Plus early release is an incentive to good behaviour in prison, so vote Tory for more prison riots.

Vic,

to me it says that this Government (elected on the "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" slogan) have let the people down on law and order.

Personally I would rather spend the money building prisons than housing asylum seekers and giving non-contributants money for nothing...... Early release only ever benefits the criminal and no one else

Vic,

to me it says that this Government (elected on the "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" slogan) have let the people down on law and order.

You mean, letting the people down by cutting crime, and putting lots more people in prison?

You mean, letting the people down by cutting crime, and putting lots more people in prison?

No,

I mean letting the people down by fiddling the crime figures to make it look like crime is falling (although they were unable to do this with violent crime because whatever figures they used showed it was on the increase!) and letting criminals out early to reoffend to be put back in prison to be let out early to reoffend to be put back in prison to be let out early................

The figures are manipulated because the Government now discount crimes by the under 16's from the official figures as stated in this document by the Institute for Study for Civil Society. They state that:

"When comparing the British Crime Survey and recorded crime the following adjustments were made by the Home Office in 2004/05 to allow for the exclusion of under 16s. The calculations are contained in a separate document obtainable from the Home Office, 'Comparing BCS and police counts of crime'. The Home Office assumed that 12% of woundings were against under 16s, and reduced the recorded crime total by 55,774. Robbery was reduced by 21%, or 17,276 offences. Theft from the person was reduced by 7% or 9,111 offences. And assault was reduced by 21% or 54,229 offences. In total 136,390 recorded crimes were carried out against under 16s, but excluded for the purpose of comparison with the British Crime Survey figures.

Miss a few out here, take a few off there, change the way we record this and alter the way things are recorded to show a decrease in crime figures..... This Government are the master of the "slight of hand" when it comes to figures and statistics; look how many kids get top marks at school and University and yet employers are incresingly saying that kids are leaving school without an understanding of the basics....

Well, the BCS has always been "adjusted" - it's a survey - but the Police-recorded crime stats since 2002/3 seem to suggest that while violence against the person offences rose in the middle of the last decade they're now on the way down, likewise sexual offences, robberies are over a quarter down on 6 years ago, burglaries by a third, offences against vehicles by 40%, fraud and forgery halved, and criminal damage down about 20%. The only major increase has been in drug offences, and total recorded crime down from nearly 6 million a year to 4.7m.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/recordedcrime1.html

(last link - see the link before to see how crime doubled under the Tories!)

According to Michael (not a lot of people know that) Caine; who fronted a Tory photo call the other day; prisons are no use and should be replaced by "education". Now I'm as confused as he seems to be, about Tory policy? Reality check: Prison and new prison build is an expensive option; which, especially in this new age of austerity; none of the main Parties will be providing. :roll:

Baz, last time the Tories were in they were tough on crime, but the figures kept going up :!:

Tough on crime? are you having a laugh? They don't know what tough is because of you and your toga and sandal wearing mates bringing in the criminals charter and other EU directives.

Proper justice and law and order would bring a tear to the eye of every "probation officer"

and what is wrong with a bit of revenge against someone who has done you wrong? or is that against your liberal ideas of fairness and everyone deserves a second, third, fourth, fifth chance ...... or oh bugger it let us let them off with a tap on the wrist this time - but not too hard a tap because we don't want them to sue us and be scarred for life

You do not want justice you want a pound of flesh, or revenge, Justice has those elements in but it is more than that :!:

and just as an aside; what is your idea of justice for say someone who breaks into your house and ransacks every room, every drawer, your teenage daughters room and her clothes, your little sons money box which gets nicked...... what justice would you dish out for that?

Me, I would birch them and then lock them up for minimum five years for the first offence of burglary. The current "justice" would be a sharp telling off and a black mark on their library card..... bloody nonsense

(and no I have never been done!)