100 Years Ago - 1910 ?

Dizzy

The 1910's was a decade of entertainment, science, technology, fads and many more! Some popular interests in the second decade were, going to the movies, a dance craze called the Tango, and The Saturday Evening Post. People also enjoyed the abstract work of Picasso and Matisse. A different type of artist people enjoyed was Stravinsky. In the years before WWI, there was enormous confidence science and technology. For as long as many people could remember, inventors had produced one wonder after another,and there seemed no reason why this should not go on forever. Then in 1912 came a disaster, and shook this confidence, the sinking of the Titanic.

Women's fashion industry expanded dramatically after the invention of the sewing machine in the mid-19th century. By 1910, the trend towards looser , lighter clothing picked up during this time. The popularity of sports like tennis helped this trend towards comfortable fitting clothing. This was a big change from earlier decades when women wore tight clothing, corsets, padding and elaborate decoration. Large hats were popular; the hats were usually floppy and were further softened by feathers. Women also carried parasols as essential accessories.

Men's clothing and fashion changed very little from the previous decades. Men preferred military looks during the war periods. Men also wore bowler hats as part of their attire.

Retrieved from: http://www.kyrene.k12.az.us/schools/brisas/sunda/decade/1910.htm 01/03/10

I'm struggling with my own question and I can only find the following celebrating 100 years this years...

(but that may be because I am in a rather grumpy and frustrated mood and I can't concentrate... :twisted: )

1910 Bakelite Plastic was invented

Southampton Airport will celebrating 100 years since the first ever flight at the airport in 1910

It's the centenary of the Infrared image

1910: Bovril ad at Piccadilly Circus

Bovril and Schweppes became the first companies to advertise using electrical signs at Piccadilly Circus.

1910: Post-impressionists in London

This first post-Impressionist exhibition featured work by Matisse, Van Gogh and Cezanne - sending a shock through the English art world

Oooh exciting stuff eh :?

Wish I not bothered now as it was obviously a rather boring year :lol:

Events of 1910

[edit] January

see also January 1910

Comet Halley's tail

* January 10 ? January 20 ? The first aviation meet to be held in the United States, the 1910 Los Angeles International Air Meet at Dominguez Field, is held near Los Angeles, California.

[edit] February

see also February 1910

* February 20 ? Boutros Ghali, the first native-born prime minister of Egypt, is assassinated.

[edit] March

see also March 1910

* March ? An uprising against Ottoman rule breaks out in Albania.

* March 27 ? A fire during a barn-dance in ?k?rit?f?lp?s, Hungary kills 312.

[edit] April

see also April 1910

* April 20 ? Comet Halley is visible from Earth.

[edit] May

see also May 1910

May 6: King George V.

* May 6 ? George V becomes King of the United Kingdom upon the death of his father, Edward VII.

* May 18 ? The earth passes through the tail of Comet Halley.

* May 31 ? The Union of South Africa is created.

[edit] June

* Main article, June 1910

[edit] July

* July 4 ? African-American boxer Jack Johnson defeats American boxer James J. Jeffries in a heavyweight boxing match, sparking race riots across the United States.

* July 22 ? A wireless telegraph sent from the S.S. Montrose results in the identification and later arrest and execution of murderer Dr. Hawley Crippen.

[edit] August

* August ? Pan-American Union

* August 14 ? A fire at the World Exhibition in Brussels destroys exhibitions of Britain and France.

* August 22 ? The Japan-Korea Annexation Treaty is signed.

* August 28 ? Montenegro is proclaimed an independent kingdom under Nicholas I.

* August 29 ? Emperor Sunjong of the Korean Empire abdicates and the country's monarchy is abolished.

[edit] September

* September 1 ? The Vatican introduces a compulsory oath against modernism, to be taken by all priests upon ordination.

[edit] October

* October 5 ? Portugal becomes a republic; King Manuel II of Portugal flees to England.

* October 20 ? The hull of the RMS Olympic is launched at the Harland and Wolff Shipyards in Belfast.

* October 23 ? Vajiravudh (Rama VI) is crowned King of Siam, after the death of his father, King Chulalongkorn (Rama V).

* October ? First publication of infrared photographs, by Professor Robert Williams Wood in the Royal Photographic Society Journal

[edit] November

* November 7 ? The first air flight for the purpose of delivering commercial freight takes place in the United States of America. The flight, made by Wright Brothers pilot Philip Parmalee between Dayton, Ohio and Columbus, Ohio.

* November 20 ? Mexican Revolution: Francisco I. Madero proclaims the elections of 1910 null and void, and calls for an armed revolution at 6 p.m. against the illegitimate presidency/dictatorship of Porfirio D?az.

* November 23 The last execution in Sweden (by guillotine) is carried out against murderer Johan Alfred Ander.

[edit] December

* December 16 ? Henri Coandă makes the first short flight in a plane with a jet engine.

David Niven and Artie Shaw were born.

I know you were :wink::D

I've just had a rather annoying day and am still trying to come to terms with the stupidity, ignorance and b******t of a certain department withing a certain local authority who are clearly 100 years behind everyone else when it comes to a little bit of commom sense and reason :evil:

Time for bed me thinks before I say something I may NOT regret but you and Gary might tell me off for depending on my choice of phrase .... although you would probably laugh first and it would definately make great reading :shock::lol:

Anyway back to 1910.... :lol: