NATO?

observer

NATO was set up as a defencive block to counter the Warsaw Pact throughout the cold war - whilst I've havn't read the terms of reference of the Treaty, I assume it's remit was restricted to the co-operative defence of it's member countries against a known and specific threat. In the case of Germany, it's constitution forbade it's use of military forces outside Germany. So why is NATO now operating "outside" of theatre in Afghanistan? :?

You've got it back to front Obs. The Warsaw Pact was signed on May 1st 1955 in response to NATO which was set up in 1949. NATO describes itself as a forum for the USA, Canada and the Western European states to resolve security issues of mutual concern, not just in Europe but worldwide. 8)8)8)

I know the Warsaw Pact was formed in reponse to NATO, I just used the term as an alternative to USSR. As I said, I've not read the terms of the Treaty, but I doubt the legallity of a defencive organisation, acting offensively outside it's original theartre of operations - IE Afghanistan. :?

The US, and NATO for that matter, may argue that the campaign in Afghanistan was started in self defence. I'm not about to argue for or against that position though :shock::shock:

I don't know how you could confuse thw USSR with the Warsaw Pact though. It's like calling the USA NATO :wink::wink:

Not sure their is any confusion between NATO and the USA, the US says "jump" and NATO says, "how high". :roll: The use of NATO was a ruse by the US to rope France, Germany and others into the conflict, against their better judgement. :shock: fter the cold war, it became essentially redundant, and basically sought a role to sustain it in being - hence it's involvement in continued US Imperial foreign policy. :shock:

You can look up "client States" and find they existed from the Athenian V Sparta period, through the Roman period, to the Napoleonic Empire - same principal of operation. :? IF WE were so independent of the US, I guess we could obtain nuclear release without the permission of the Yanks then?! :?

Think you need to look at the numbers employed per Nation to give an idea of the percentage - for some Countries it will appear a high percentage cos they have so few troops out there, and usually in the quieter sectors. :? btw. does it give the body count for the Taliban? :?