Minimum wage?

observer

But if you were in the position of being able to earn more than the dole but less than the minimum wage to support your family would you do it? (I am talking in the situation that the company you were working for could not afford anymore wages without them losing money)

I didn't invent this law, elected politicians did - which poses a general question about whether or not they now regret that decision, in the light of the recession. :shock: You raise an interesting point, which ties in with the absurd level of dole for youngsters - it would be much better, if the Gov subsidised the employer in the first place, in order to retain the job, through this depression, thus keeping the kid in work and paying tax. :?

I agree with Baz and like I said before if someone is willing to work for 'x' amount rather than having NO job and NO money and sitting on their backside all day then why shouldn't they be allowed to.

Obs... you say

You raise an interesting point, which ties in with the absurd level of dole for youngsters - it would be much better, if the Gov subsidised the employer in the first place, in order to retain the job, through this depression, thus keeping the kid in work and paying tax

I thought they DID do that... or have they now stopped it :shock:

It was called Job Cenre Plus - New Deal or something like that

From memory when we did it....

1. The Employer signs up to the new deal programme....

2. A suitable (hopefully :shock: ) candidate is matched to the job

3. The Employer gets them FREE for 2 weeks to see if they are suitable (the employee still gets their dole/allowances).

4. The Employer can then decide wether to take them on for the next stage. This is for 26 weeks and the Employer receives a SUBSIDY payment of approx ?60 per week towards their pay... (which at minimum wage pays almost half their weekly wage :wink: )

5. The Employee still got some of their benefits paid too depending on their circumstances / status

6. At the end of the 26 weeks if both parties are happy then it could become a permenant job (less the subsidy of course) or if nothing else it was 26 weeks REAL work experience under their belt.

But if you were in the position of being able to earn more than the dole but less than the minimum wage to support your family would you do it? (I am talking in the situation that the company you were working for could not afford anymore wages without them losing money)

No, because if I had a family to support then dole plus housing benefit plus council tax benefit plus everything else that gets handed out would come to significantly more than the current minimum wage.

Wouldn't there be a temptation for the employer to then get rid after 26 weeks and take someone else off the dole who they then get free for 2 weeks and then a subsidy of ?60 per week etc etc ??? :?:?:roll:

Maybe... but a reputable employer wouldn't do that after all they have signed up to be part of the 'new deal' programme which includes being listed with the DWP etc etc :P

It wouldn't be in the employers interest to try and cheat the system when all parties are being monitored in the same way. :wink: