Hard - or What?

kateoflymm

Following on from another thread, what's with all these men who are walking around in 3/4 length pants?

I've lived in the North East and I got used to "hard" Geordies walking round in t-shirts, when the temperature was -5C, saying, "Bloody soft Southerners" and such because that's what Geordies do but, come on, what's this local leg-exposure all about? I was out and about in town last Friday afternoon, not too bitterly cold but not warm and I had on a warm fleece jacket, and I encountered no less than 4 chaps, in Sainsburys, wearing trollies that were neither shorts nor longs and exposed a good deal of hairy calf.

Now, I'm not speaking sartorially here. On a purely personal level I like a man in a well-cut suit with a crisp shirt and a nice tie but that's not the point I'm making. It's more to do with the point that they, I presume, may be making. Is this propensity towards short-longs (long-shorts) a statement of how hard the wearer is - "I don't need me legs covered up. I'm bl**dy 'ard, I am" - or is it indicative of the way we are over-using heating resources - "It were 'ot in our 'ouse so I put me short kecks on".

On the other hand, is it just a pointer to Global Warming. Has the average air temperature risen to the point where Summer clothing is quite tolerable in Winter and am I just nesh? :lol:

Good post Kate and made me smile :lol:

But (and there always seems to be a but with me, sorry :oops: ) I really don't find anything wrong with chaps wearing 3/4 length trousers (not of the 'suit' type though 'cos that would be weird :wink::lol:)

3/4 combats plus an appropriate top and shoe wear and they can look rather nice. I think it's called fashion with the added benefit of comfort :wink:

At least the blokes cropped trousers are a lot longer and warmer than the skimpy skirts (or are they belts :wink: ), tops and dresses that young ladies go out in on a winters night. They MUST freeze :shock:

I'm not casting any aspersions on the way they look, Dismayed. I could, really I could, but it would be detracting from the point of my thread.

I am completely at a loss as to how they can walk around, comfortably, in bitterly cold weather. Wearers of these long-shorts (short-longs) never wear coats or even sweaters when the North wind is whistling round Sainsbury's car park and the rest of the population is swathed in scarves and gloves. Even the lady who plans to hit town in a mini-skirt/belt and short, too-tight top, at 10 p.m., has her fleece and jeans on at lunch-time.

These guys in the cut-offs walk around chilly Warrington as if they were in Benidorm on a Summer afternoon. It's weird.

I am completely at a loss as to how they can walk around, comfortably, in bitterly cold weather. Wearers of these long-shorts (short-longs) never wear coats or even sweaters when the North wind is whistling round Sainsbury's car park and the rest of the population is swathed in scarves and gloves.

Ah but you may be forgetting the fact that it is actually warm in Sainsbury's Kate :wink: So the chap leaves his warm house, gets into a warm car to go to warm Sainsbury's for a bit of food shopping. Bit of a miracle to see a chap shopping for food anyway :lol:

Even the lady who plans to hit town in a mini-skirt/belt and short, too-tight top, at 10 p.m., has her fleece and jeans on at lunch-time.

But she doesn't wear them when she's out at night when it's far colder :?::?:lol:

At the end of the day they are the ones who may catch a chill so what does it matter :wink:

PS I've got my cropped jeans on at the moment and I'm not cold or posing... I'm just comfy :D