Why do we bovver -

observer

- with all the time, money and effort in trying to prevent pre-mature deaths IF the world is over-populated? :shock: A US research team has estimated that 83 million Chinese will die from lung disease due to smoking and the use of open wood and coal fires - errm, thought China was over-populated? :roll: So why not forget this obsession with immortality and just let nature and politically incorrect lifestyles just take their course, thus acting to cull human population growth - and save a load of money at the same time?! :shock::wink:

Part of the issue is that China burns 'dirty' coal, rather than the cleaner, greener type. Unfortunately this has far reaching implications... the pollution from this 'dirty' coal apparently is already detectable on the west coast of the USA.

Persoanlly, I think the pollution on the western US coast is the accumulation of all the hot air that George W Bush has produced! :lol:

Natural selection (survival of the fitest), is nature's way of culling species and eradicating inferior genes from the gene pool - which could take us onto eugenics! :shock: My own theory is that we'll eventually transfer ourselves into robotic bodies with computerised minds, thus being capable of immortatily and survival in any atmosphere (thus capable of long distance space travel), with no need to eat for energy - folk could find it quite boring! :wink:

It always annoys me when I read that such and such health initiative has "saved" x million lives when really what is meant is that so many lives have been possibly extended. :roll::roll:

But surely that's not the case. If we're looking at the anti-smoking drive, the anti-obesity drive & (a few years ago) AIDS prevention, then these are trying to change behaviour that is not natural (AIDS :wink: ) & which is reducing normal life expectancy.

Think one's opinion is predicated on whether one believes the world is over-populated or not; despite all the natural and man-made disasters that have killed millions over history; humanity continues to grow in numbers, consuming the finite resources of the earth, which in itself is a cause of natural genocide. :wink:

It always annoys me when I read that such and such health initiative has "saved" x million lives when really what is meant is that so many lives have been possibly extended. :roll::roll:

But surely that's not the case. If we're looking at the anti-smoking drive, the anti-obesity drive & (a few years ago) AIDS prevention, then these are trying to change behaviour that is not natural (AIDS :wink: ) & which is reducing normal life expectancy.

Which is exactly what I said if you read it!! These initiatives extend lives, they don't "save" them. You can save someone's life by giving them CPR for example, but persuading the same person to pack in smoking isn't going to stop them dying eventually. :wink::wink::wink: