Profit Motive.

observer

So Gordon's going to provide home insulation at half-price; why not "free"; cos even at half the price, methinks there won't be many takers. :roll: And what's to stop these robber Baron Energy Companies from just adding the cost of home insulation onto the price of their gas? :? Notice one of the Energy Companies is a Nationalised French Enterprise, the French have a cap on their prices, but it doesn't stop them charging us Brits inflated prices - the Frogs must be laughing their heads off at our expense. :twisted: U.K. the global joke! :wink:

And it was "interesting" to note that a senior manger of the power firm EoN, made the comment that the worst thing that could happen with rising fuel prices is that his company could make more profit :evil:

His comment has been described as a "Ratner" moment. His employers say he faces disciplinary action....I assume for letting the cat out of the bag and telling the truth.

From a business profit point of view the thing to look at is if their profit margin is rising, an indication that they are profiteering from rising prices.

Many non utility type companies i.e. those that have to compete and are not in monopolistic type positions, are having to cut margins to get business.

Well Gordon supposed to be looking for "a vision" to re-vitalise NuLabs flagging popularity, and is being bitten by the blooming of Maggie's legacy, which his Party has done nothing to correct. :twisted: Perhaps a re-nationalisation programme (without compensation), funded by taxation of the excess profits of these robber barons and the super-rich; with a new scale of charge rates for energy use, which charges the big users more and the little users less; a programme of "free" insulations for all properties in the UK; would be a start?! :wink: Notice even the home of capitalism - the USA; has nationalised two mortgage companies, so the tax-payer can bail out the private sector! :roll::wink:

I posted yesterday on the beeb that rather than half price, why not a one time investment of free loft,wall, double glazing and energy efficient central heating if not solar panels accross the country to all residential households whose fall below standards.

this would be beneficial to individuals and the country and the environment and ultimately the world.

ok its going to cost a lot, ok we never get anything for free realy but the long term results far outway this short term cost and a bold move like this could actualy give GB a legacy of the greatest prime minister ever for the environment and social welfare...and god know he needs help.

Errm, and here's me thinking the Plebs are the tax-payers - who in an ideal world should pay less than the Patricians = "from each according to there means, to each according to their needs" :wink:

I didn't say the Plebs, I said the"plebs" i.e. those that don't contribute towards their own needs never mind anyone else's :roll::roll::roll:

Think you'll find that those who don't pay tax are a small minority; NB: remember Gordon increased low earner's contributions recently from 10p to 20p in the Pound! :roll: Tax avoidance, is probably more prevelent at the top end of the scale; estimates suggest that most of the super-rich pay less than 10p in the Pound. :shock::wink:

• 2 weeks later...

There are many solutions, but it's whether they would be acceptable in an enlightened and civilized society, and whether they would work and save money - you could for example stop paying them anything and allow them to starve or steal, thus adding to the cost of keeping them in free board and lodgings in prison! :roll::wink: