School Achievement Targets

Little wonder teachers are leaving the profession in their droves ! I think it's about time this 'target obsessed so called government' started to let teachers TEACH rather than have them looking at raising the levels on an achievement graph each year :evil: education is important to every individual as an ongoing public service ....... it's NOT a business as it's being treated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Do you mean Standard Assessment Tests? :?

If so I entirely agree.

Unfortunately it has become a business, with the headteacher being the manager, who now has the power and the money to do what ever they please. They can promote Nursery Nurses to teachers, they can sack teachers when their contract runs out and they can even decide what funding is available for pensions.

Those who are well in with the manager are looked after and those who aren't are replaced.

Unfortunately it has become a business, with the headteacher being the manager, who now has the power and the money to do what ever they please. They can promote Nursery Nurses to teachers, they can sack teachers when their contract runs out and they can even decide what funding is available for pensions.

Those who are well in with the manager are looked after and those who aren't are replaced.

Firstly I agree with TonyMM.... teachers should be allowed to teach rather than to have to concentrate on achieving ticks in the relevant boxes and the associated form filling although there obviously does need to be some standardisation accross schools with regard to teaching methods/ability of teachers and of course pupils achievement levels and the like. Not sure what the anwer is though.

As for head teachers... do they really have that much power within a school :shock: Are they the 'actual' managers or is that responsibility more in the hands of the governors and/or local LEA ??

As soon as they had the Florida FCAT system in place (assessment testing for students) I think that is when schools became a business.

The principal (Head) pushes the teacher to teach to the tests in order for the school to get a good grade so that the school will get extra money.

As usual its about money not education.